running head torch Back diamond icon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climberchristy 23 Dec 2018

Hi

Looking to change my head torch for night trail running. Got a voucher for Go outdoors and they are currently doing good price on the Black Diamond Icon. Sounds v bright at 500 lumens and got good but time but a bit heavy with 4 AA batteries? Anyone got any experience of it to share please?

thommi 23 Dec 2018
In reply to climberchristy:

Hey. It's a very good torch, when run on decent batteries, can drain others fast, and it is a little back heavy. I've found it fine while running in the cold with a hat, but can shift around in my naked head when it's warmer... However that may be the shape of my head.

Great torch for all night on the hill, mabe not so good for running though, its a bit heavy. I did see you can buy a lithium ion battery pack for it though, which might drop the weight a bit. Costs as much as the torch again though!

In reply to thommi:

Thanks for useful info cheers

In reply to pancakeandchips:

Thanks for useful info  cheers

DaveHK 23 Dec 2018

Go Outdoors also have the LED Lenser MH10 which I've found to be very good for trail running. Worthwhile buying a second battery if you plan to run for more than 8 hrs at a time.

Mr Messy 24 Dec 2018

I run with mine. The battery pack goes inside your jacket so the touch is pretty light. I find I run without the beam on full so the batteries have lasted ages. With this set up you have to take your jacket off if like me you use it for mountain decents.  But having the battery inside your jacket keeps the batteries warm. (V good in winter).   There is the option of using it in total 'head' mode where the battery pack is in the troditional position. Could do with a defuser if I had a minor gripe for running.

Ridge 24 Dec 2018
In reply to thommi:

> Hey. It's a very good torch, when run on decent batteries, can drain others fast, and it is a little back heavy. I've found it fine while running in the cold with a hat, but can shift around in my naked head when it's warmer... However that may be the shape of my head.

I have a LED lenser HR7 that has the same issue. OMM do a very lightweight running cap with a peak that seems to stop it moving around when it's too warm for a thicker hat.

asteclaru 24 Dec 2018

I have both the older and new versions of the Icon. 

Although they claim 500 lumens on the new one, I found the light a bit underwhelming because you can't focus the beam (or at least I can't figure out how to do it) so while it will illuminate a large area, it won't do a really good job at it as it spreads the light too much and too thin.

Also, mine has a very annoying high-pitched buzzing sound which, for me, makes wearing it for more than 5 minutes unbearable, and googling around, it seems that this is a common issue with the Icon.

I've recently switched to the Ledlenser MH10 and the performance is head and shoulders above the Icon (plus, no buzzing sound!). I've paid £60 from Amazon for mine which is similar to what I've paid for the Icon too.

Thanks to all who've offered info cheers

ColdWill 25 Dec 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

So LED Lenser fans, what is the difference between the MH10 and the H8R? as far as I can tell its the USB and the lock. 

planetmarshall 25 Dec 2018

I'd find an Icon too heavy. I use a BD Sprinter for running. Whatever model you go with, I'd recommend something with a rear battery pack so that it's balanced.

Dave Todd 25 Dec 2018

I've had a few years of night trail running and have experimented with various lights.  for the past 3 years I've been using a Lenser H7R, which I've loved for general running in the Peak.  However, my family have all got into orienteering over the last year so a couple of months ago we bought 3 of Alpkit's new Qark (https://www.alpkit.com/products/qark) - really, really impressed!  Claims 580lm at full power, with a 2h30m life.  Obviously no good for longer runs, but fine for what we need.  95g, so although all the weight is at the front it doesn't bounce around.  Rechargeable, and can also use 3xAAA.  Good zoom/wide adjustment.  Costs £29 - crazy good value.  Removable top strap as well.

DaveHK 26 Dec 2018
In reply to ColdWill:

> So LED Lenser fans, what is the difference between the MH10 and the H8R? as far as I can tell its the USB and the lock. 

I gave up trying to work out what the difference was between all the models in their range and just bought the one a mate with similar useable suggested.

DaveHK 26 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

>  similar useable suggested.

Usage was what I meant...

Petzl

In reply to Dave Todd:

Thanks looks great esp at that price. How rainproof have you found it? I ask because I have had a silva trail runner 3 and after one run in heavy rain it stopped working properly. It ckaimed to be ipx4 as many headtorches are. Ipx4 is not fully waterproof as i understand it yet you can't realitically keep them covered with hood whilst running. So they need to be properly rainproof? Thanks agsin

Dave Todd 27 Dec 2018

> How rainproof have you found it? I ask because I have had a silva trail runner 3 and after one run in heavy rain it stopped working properly. It ckaimed to be ipx4 as many headtorches are. Ipx4 is not fully waterproof as i understand it yet you can't realitically keep them covered with hood whilst running.

To be honest, in the two months that we've had them, we've never given them a proper soaking.  They've been fine in light rain, but they've yet to meet a full-on downpour!  Having said that, Alpkit state that they're rated to IPX6 - which according to Wikipedia is a whole load more resistant that IPX4 ('powerful water jets' vs. 'splashing of water') - more detail here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Hope that helps!?

In reply to Dave Todd:

Thanks for all that info. I emailed alpkit who confirmed it's IPX6 which should withstand a damn good downpour. Just ordered one. £29 and free postage. Got to be a bargain so thanks again for the suggestion . Cheers Christy 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...