Winter boot sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HTM65 21 Dec 2018

Looking for some advice in boot sizing.  My normal shoe size is 43 and have some manta pro's in a 43 which I picked up second hand however my toes are touching the ends when walking down hill and kicking steps but fine on the flat.  I don't really have the budget to buy new so looking for some advice for boot sizing for nepals/Mont Blancs.

Thanks

Robbie Blease 21 Dec 2018
In reply to HTM65:

The only way to be sure is to try them on unfortunately.

Every boot manufacturer will size them slightly differently, every model will be sized slightly differently and, because these things are handmade, size can even vary between boots of the same model!

If you're buying second hand then it's always going to be a bit of a lottery, especially if you haven't worn too many mountain boots in the past.

Another thing to consider is that some boots will never fit no matter what the size. Sorry to be a bit pessimistic, but that's my view on it. Hope it helps in some way!

Jim Fraser 22 Dec 2018
In reply to HTM65:

Here is how to size a hillwalking boot or winter climbing boot to ensure enough toe clearance.

Wear the sock or socks that you would normally wear with that type of boot. (I generally recommend a high wool content loop stitch sock next to your skin with a thinner wool/polyester/polypropylene sock over the top.)

Sit down.Thoroughly loosen off the laces of the boot. Place your foot in the boot and slide it forward until you can feel your toes JUST touch the front of the boot. Keep your foot firmly in that position. Reach down the back of the boot with your hand of the same side; palm toward the foot. Slide your first or second finger in between your heel and the rearmost part of the boot.

There should be about one and a half finger thicknesses of space between back of your heel and the back of the boot.

If the rest of the boot fits your feet sufficiently well to restrain the heel snugly at the back of the boot then this space will be sufficient for walking downhill and for frontpointing. In order to get that fit correct, one may have to play around with insoles, volume adjusters, different socks, and different lacing arrangements. (Gets easier after the first two or three decades of buying winter boots!  )

Post edited at 17:15
 andyd1970 22 Dec 2018
In reply to HTM65:

I had the older version of a Scarpa Charmoz and they were a size 47 and fitted me nice as I got fitted for them. After they died I got the newer version on line in the sale only to find them to big in a 47 even when I wore 2 pairs of socks and 2 insoles, so I eventually sold them and got some La Sportiva Trang’s s evo’s in a 47 and they fitted me better. 

I used to have Scarpa Cumbre in a 47 but found them too heavy and swapped to the la sportiva Nepal’s and found them smaller. My feet get cold in my Nepal’s due to lack of circulation and getting older I think.

IMHO La sportiva run about half a size shorter and not as wide than Scarpa but like people have said, they can vary on model.

ColdWill 24 Dec 2018
In reply to HTM65:

Sounds like you need to go up half a size. I have found La Sportiva and Scarpa the same length wise but Scarpas slightly wider for the same euro sizes. If you want to go ice climbing and kicking into ice then maybe a full size up but it depends o  The shape of your heel as well. 

Billhook 24 Dec 2018
In reply to HTM65:

Asking forum members to give you advice on boot sizing is impossible.  Boots, manufactures, models, socks etc., let alone the individual shape of your feet compared with mine make it impossible.

Go to a shop and try some on using Jim's advice.  

Jim Fraser 28 Dec 2018
In reply to HTM65:

Some mention of La Sportiva sizing! In keeping with what's stated here, I go up one continental size (about 6 mm) with Nepal's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...