Mountain Equipment Ibex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 16 Dec 2018

About to renew my soft shell trousers.  Had some north face apex which have served me well and need replacing. After a pair similar and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Fancying the Ibex, any one got these and know if they are pretty much the same.

Required for use autumn to spring for walking, rock climbing, scrambling and not too thick cause I'll be able to stick some thermals under in the winter

Cheers 

Robboj 16 Dec 2018
In reply to David Cowley:

I’ve got a couple of pairs of ibex trousers that are possibly 6 years old ish? They’ve been brilliant! I’ve used them for in the hills walking & climbing, as well as general dog walking/gardening/daily wear. Ok, so the look a bit faded now, but I’ve no intention of replacing them anytime soon & when i do it’ll be for more of the same!

Martin Bennett 16 Dec 2018

I'm not familiar with the The North Face ones so can't compare but the ME Ibex are hard wearing, comfortable and very very good value for money. My one gripe is with the thigh pocket - poor design means the  zip is behind the pocket so when you sit down to belay or have a breather it's UNDER the pocket. Forget to zip it up at your peril - yer phone/pocket knife/ beer money etc fall out.

Andy27 16 Dec 2018

I’ve had a pair for about five years, used them a lot for walking, low grade trad climbing and easy winter mixed. Held up very well my poor technique when it gets steep.... They are perfect for me temperature wise as I run hot and they breathe well, plus the leg vents help keep me cool. They still do the job when it’s cold with merino Long Johns base layer.

rgold 16 Dec 2018

No recommendations and here's why:  I've found that pant fitting is a bit like shoe fitting, a very individual matter, and it is the fit that matters as much or more than all the other details.

My first criteria is that the pants not impede high-stepping.  This turns out to be a remarkably severe condition, as with most pants I try, the fabric drags across the knee and upper thigh as you step up, and the friction between leg and fabric provides resistance that has to be overcome.  If you happen to be a little sweaty from exertion, the resistance can be substantial.  If the cut of the pant matches your body shape, then there should be no fabric motion over the knee when you step up.

The problem is exacerbated if long underwear is worn underneath, since it makes for more potential friction.  But this also provides a good test: even if you don't intend to wear anything underneath, put the pants on over long underwear and test their mobility---if restriction is minimal or non-existent, you've got the fit you want. 

I've found that manufacturers keep changing the cut of their pants, so even if you have some that work well, there is no guarantee another pair from the same manufacturer will be any good at all.  I have a pair from ME and a pair from Marmot that are perfect, so I know perfection is attainable.  Over the years, I've had pairs from Patagonia and Rab and others from Marmot the just weren't all that good for me.

The only other thing I pay any real attention to is pockets, and not much to them if I can get the fit right.  One thing I dislike (my "perfect" ME pants have them) is hip pockets placed directly over the tops of the thighs.  Maybe this works for skiing, but if climbing, you can't put anything in those pockets without it getting in the way of high-stepping.  Such pockets are a total waste and I can't figure out what the designers were thinking when they did that.  If there is going to be a hip pocket (I like one for an iPhone while hiking), it should be on the side of the leg, not on the top of the thigh.

afx22 17 Dec 2018

I have both NF Apex and ME Ibex pants and have to say the latter have been better for me.  

My Apex failed at where one of the pockets is glued to the softshell.  It's re-glued and works on.  The zips at the bottom of the legs make a racket.  And finally, the lower legs are a bit baggy and hold water when it's really wet.

The Ibex have been great other than the belt / button system isn't quite right, so occasionally the button folds and pops open.  I'd definitely recommend them.

HB1 17 Dec 2018

I've had my ME Ibex "pants" for some years now - they're a bit on the big size (30" waist) but apart from that I'd definitely recommend them

Zgemba 17 Dec 2018

I have a pair that must be ten years or so old and is still going strong.

The thigh pockets/vents are not that effective and the legs could be a bit longer (but I have this problem with almost all trousers).  But these are really minor issues. 

Actually, I'm looking to get another pair in a lighter colour for summer.

Gav_92 17 Dec 2018

I use the Mountain equipment Ibex in spring, summer and autumn. Also use them in winter with leggings on underneath. 

Summer use is mixture of walking and scrambling and no issues with them, infact tempted to buy another pair just wish they done them in bright colours

colinakmc 17 Dec 2018

I had a pair o .Apex and found them clammy and not particularly good either in the warm or in the cold as a result. To the contrary, my Ibex are about 6 or 7 years old and do more or less everything. When these ones fall to bits I’ll be buying another. 

Only thing I don’t like is the zipped hip pockets which are guaranteed to spill the contents unless you always remember to zip them up

Somerville 17 Dec 2018

I’ve got two pairs. I’ve had mine pair for 5 years and they’re done everything. Pretty much will feature in some part of any of my climbing trips. 

Used them of a baselayer in winter, used for uk casual cragging, used them for alpine rock, ice, running, for bouldering in the winter, I’m pretty sure I had them out for ski touring, sometimes I just put them on for psych. 

They get my vote. 

Only other trousers I can think of are some more TNF but they’re expensive. 

Hope this helps 

Somerville 17 Dec 2018

I’ve got two pairs. I’ve had one pair for 5 years and theyve done everything. Pretty much will feature in some part of my climbing trips. 

Used them as a baselayer in winter, used for uk casual cragging, used them for alpine rock, ice, running, for bouldering in the winter, I’m pretty sure I had them out for ski touring, sometimes I just put them on for psych. 

They get my vote. 

Only other trousers I can think of are some more TNF but they’re expensive. 

Hope this helps 

Post edited at 23:12
 PPP 17 Dec 2018

You might be interested in Mountain Equipment Mission. 

I fancied Montane Mission and ME Ibex, but neither of them fit well and had decent vents. The Mountain Equipment Mission have massive vents which for some reason I think is the most important bit of a winter trouser if you want to move fast.

olliehales 18 Dec 2018

I have the Ibex and find them very comfy to wear, well fitting and a good amount of stretch.

However, they have gone 'bobbly' in the wash which am a bit dissapointed with.

Bellie 18 Dec 2018
In reply to olliehales:

I've always washed mine in tech wash, and are as good as the day I got them - about 9 years ago.   They are comfy for me too and always my go to 3 season trousers.  I've used them in winter too with thermals, although I have dedicated winter troop for snowy stuff.

I hope they are the same quality when I do end up replacing them.

Ibex are great

Too warm for me in the summer but perfect for autumn and winter walking and scrambling

Furry Goose 18 Dec 2018

The ME Ibex pants were remarkable. Emphases on were though. I have a pair that are about 5 years old, wore them nearly continously for 3 years and still wear them often, although they are now rather patched.

However I got a pair of the newer model about 2 years ago and was saddened to learn that many little details had been changed for the worse. Whilst the material and fit are basically the same, the pockets have been moved slightly and are no longer sewn all round so they can fold backwards awkwardly. The two poppers on the waist have moved from being left and right to top and bottom, small change but it means the front twists, dosen't sit flat and gets caught on your harness.

There are other details but my point is to be a bit weary as all the above people raving about them have a pair of the old version, which were awesome, the newer ones not so much.

Fishmate 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Furry Goose:

I have the new Ibex version, approx 1 year old. Only used for walking but I'll happily buy the same model when they need replacing. As said above, they are hard wearing, yet light enough to accommodate 200 weight merino leggings underneath without overheating (I run hot, stand freezing).

> the pockets have been moved slightly and are no longer sewn all round so they can fold backwards awkwardly.

The pockets are fine for me although not used with harness. Are yours slim fitting? I ask because mine are and I don't have that issue (pockets folding back). I appreciate how annoying that would be especially if climbing..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...