Which trail running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 15 Dec 2018

Looking at getting my first pair of trail running shoes.

Tried a few on and got it down 3 pairs, Saucony peregrine 8, Hoka speed goat 2 and Hoka challenger atr 4 based on fit and comfort, just not sure which one would suit me best.

The comfiest was the Hoka challenge atr 4 but preferred the aggressive lugs on the peregrine 8 which seemed to have a wider toe box which I would prefer.

Long term I would be looking at using them in the Mountains and doing Ultras if I can, so I need something which is comfy but grip is essential.

I currently have plantar faciiitis but it’s getting better but I was advised in the shop that the Hoka are a great seller for people with the condition due to the cushioning 

Thanks

Andy

mbh 15 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

There's no such thing as long term with trail or off-road running shoes, I have found. The uppers fall apart frighteningly quickly. 

That said, I can't comment on the makes you have tried. The Topos and Mizunos I have had did, but were comfy (and wide toed) while they lasted. The Brooks Cascadias I have now seem more robust, but slide around on wet rock like any other shoe.

When I've gone properly off road, on the local moors, I have found that the knobbly soles of the shoes I wear (Inov8 somethings) to be much more reassuring than any of the other trail shoes I have tried.

Gav Parker 15 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Hi can’t advise on the shoe but be carefull with Plantar Fasciitis it takes some shifting! I had it for 18 months......

steelbru 15 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Don't know about the Saucony's, but I've got both the Hokas you're looking at.

The Challenger 4 I use as a road/light-trail combo shoe, it's very comfortable, but I think it has it's limitations on rough trails and any depth of mud. The Speedgoat 2 I use on rougher trail ultras, and absolutely love it for that terrain.

The Speedgoat feels fine on roads as well, so if you're likely to be just buying one, then I'd base decision on how rough the trails are you plan to run on.

I wouldn't really use either as a mountain shoe though, you really want something with deeper lugs and a bit lower to the ground - I'm currently using Inov8 X-Claw 275 which I'd have no hesitation in recommending.

OP andyd1970 16 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks guys

I had  a feeling I’d need a few different types to cover various terrain, a bit like my mountain footwear.

yorkshireman 16 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

It's very personal and you'll refine your choice over time so don't worry too much.

I've used Brooks Cascadias for years and really rate them as a comfortable, cruising all-rounder (I tend to do longer distance trails).

However I recently got a pair of Saucony Peregrine 8s and really like them. However the aggressive tread on them can get really clogged on wet, clay terrain as I found out to my disadvantage in a trail race last weekend.

I've never done more than 20 miles at a time in them but from my experience I think they'll be comfortable over longer distances as well as for the short, sharp races I use them for at the moment.

mountainbagger 16 Dec 2018
In reply to mbh:

> There's no such thing as long term with trail or off-road running shoes, I have found. The uppers fall apart frighteningly quickly. 

Agree with this re. Hoka Challenger ATR. Been through two pairs now. Uppers went very quickly. Shame as they were great/comfy for everyday trails and even a bit of road. Won't buy again, but I am sad about this because I really liked them.

For rougher stuff, my old Innov8 Roclites lasted AGES and were (almost) indestructible, but a new pair of Roclites didn't...not sure if quality is what it used to be.

Currently I am trialling some older model Brooks Cascadias in a garish colour (cheap!). So far so good but early days.

Hoka Speedgoats looked good in the shop, but my experience with the Challengers has made me wary.

steelbru 16 Dec 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

I've found the Hoka Challengers to be fine for longevity :- 

v1 got about 450 miles, v2 got about 650 and currently on v4 with 250 and no sign of wear to uppers

Some good reductions on the go at the moment on the v4 as the v5 has just been released.

OP andyd1970 16 Dec 2018
In reply to steelbru:

Gonna go for 2 pairs, so got a pair of Hoka challenger atr 4 on order in the sale for £66.

Gonna have a look at some innov 8 for Mountain routes

Thanks guys for the help

The Potato 17 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

as others have said, if youre only just starting trail running, whatever pair you buy now wont last till your ultra training. Generally shorter faster runs (i.e fell races) will be more suited to more aggressive shoes like Inov8 x-talon 212, and longer runs 20, 30+ miles more suited to wider more stable shoes such as the Hokas, Peregrines, or Inov8 Roclite / Trail claw.

My suggestion would be get something you feel comfortable in as an all rounder that you can start to get used to offroad running. Once you start finding what you enjoy or start to differentiate between distance or technical trails then get yourself two different types of shoes (at least). However there are some ultra events that go on technical trails too but by then youll know what works for you, and what you need from a shoe, as well as having better physical ability to run in whatever

OP andyd1970 17 Dec 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Thanks, sounds like a good plan as I’ll be learning as I run but didn’t want to spend a load of money initially on shoes that are no use

The Potato 17 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Perhaps something like inov8 roclite then if you find they are a good fit for you but saucony peregrine, and hoka challenger are also well reviewed

Edit - la sportiva Bushido are also good as are Adidas terrex range. Just for other ideas like

Post edited at 18:00
 gooberman-hill 17 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Hoka Challenger ATRs are the most perfect running shoe I have ever worn, apart from the fact that the soles fall apart on rough alpine terrain frighteningly quickly - I have had 2 pairs fall apart in well under 100km on terrain like the Mont Blanc 80 (now 90).

The Speedgoats are much more robust, and are a great all-round shoe. 

If you want something brilliant for really rough territory, get a pair of Challengers, send them off to LSR and get them to put their fell sole on, then wear them round town for a week to get the lugs worn down a bit before using them in anger.

If you have had injury issues I can't recommend Hokas too highly. I have an old ankle injury (compound heel fracture), but the Hokas enable me to run long distances.

Steve

OP andyd1970 17 Dec 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Need to try the Innov8 on as I’ve never worn.

Gonna see how the Hokas are in go from there.

OP andyd1970 17 Dec 2018
In reply to gooberman-hill:

I’ve ordered the Challenge and the speed goat and gonna make a decision when they come into the shop. Got them both in the sale, so one pair can go back and then I’ll contemplate what I do next. I did start off thinking I’ll get just one pair but now I can see I’ll need a few pairs. Might have to sell some climbing gear, to fun my new hobby if my feet ever gets better .

OP andyd1970 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Gav Parker:

I keep hearing that off people. It’s been 6 weeks now and it’s killing me as I can’t climb, walk or run with pain, so I’ve done nothing but I’ll wear the new trainers for knocking about in as they feel comfy

climb41 18 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

What size shoes do you take Andy? Got a pair of speedgoats that have done about 20miles before I decided they were too small....

nacnud 18 Dec 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Just a quick note about inov-8 shoes - they come in various widths for similar tread patterns. For examble the x claw vs x talon. The x-claws are a wide fit and the x-talons are narrow. 

They also have different levels of cushioning in the same shoe, for example trail talon 290 vs trail talon 235. The 290 weights 290 grams and has more cushioning than the lighter 235.

That gives you a load of choice to find the right shoe for your needs and your foot shape. Worth knowing when you go shopping as the shop you are in probably won't have the full range in stock. 

JFT 14 Jan 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

I got the speedboat 2's last year and the upper has come away from the sole after just 400k. Might be the way I run, slightly wrong size etc. though 

cousin nick 15 Jan 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

As with any footwear, it needs to fit you.

I have wide feet, with a bunion on my left. I find Brooks Ghost ideal on road; Brooks Cascadia for on/off road trails; but my favourite for out and out off-road, mud, roots and wet grass is the Altra Superior. If your not familiar with Altra, they are 'foot-shaped' (think clown's shoes!) and zero drop, so you may need a while for your Achilles to get used to them. For me the Altra Superiors are the most secure feeling shoe for descending that I've ever had. They also come with removable rock plates (about 1mm thick and go under the insoles). I don't need them most of the time, but if heading to rocky moorland trails or shingle beaches (don't do t!) I will put them in.

N

OP andyd1970 15 Jan 2019
In reply to cousin nick:

I ended up getting some Saucony peregrine 8’s as the hoka challenger didn’t fit me very well

tingle 15 Jan 2019
In reply to cousin nick:

Hey man i bought some ghosts recently and they didnt fit, if they are your size you can have them for postage if you like? ill check the size later, probably 8. 

cousin nick 16 Jan 2019
In reply to tingle:

Thanks for the kind offer Tingle, but unfortunately I'm a 10.5

N

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...