A good run in 2018?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 13 Dec 2018

The thread about running objectives has been inspirational. Can we add to that by sharing a run that means a lot to you from the last year? 

I'll kick off. For me, it was entering and finishing the Nine Edges Race - a category BL fell race, definitely on the hard side of what i could manage.  I worked on distance and hills through the summer. I finished the race, was among the slowest as expected but didn't come last, loved every minute. 22ish miles in 5 hours 15 - a minute short of my time on my first and so far only marathon, a year before, which was pretty much flat. The day will stay with me for a long time.

yorkshireman 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Well done - I think the memorable experiences and feelings of satisfaction come from the harder efforts and pulling something off that had a significant risk of failure.

For me it was cracking the 100 mile distance in June - I did the Jurassic Coast 100 and prior to that my longest ever race was the CCC. It was wasn't so much the distance, but more the logistics of 34 hours running without sleep, and managing the emotional ups and downs that come with it.

I've shared the link before but for anyone who hasn't seen it and is interested then here's a writeup.

https://mountaintrailrunning.com/race-reports/race-report-jurassic-coast-10...

All in all I'm happy with 2018 goals and taking it easy now for the next few weeks as I think taking a break mentally is as important as physically.

steveriley 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Quiet year for running for me. Two highlights: entering a 20 mile hill race the night before and knowing I could get round in ok shape pretty much 'off the couch'. Bringing my mate in on Leg 5 for his successful Bob Graham, after I'd backed out of our joint attempt last year. Brilliant to share in his journey. Nine Edges on radar!

Post edited at 12:22
 goose299 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Lakes in a day. I'd recce'd the route but my longest run before that was 22 miles. 

So double the difference and some to finish the 50

Long day out but what a day! Torrentially wet for the majority and I loved it

DaveHK 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Well done to all above.

I think my highlight was probably my 1.48.18 Ben Nevis Race. I wasn't expecting anything like that but just struck form at the right time and paced it well. It took about 9 minutes off my previous PB and has really opened my eyes.

Dark-Cloud 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Lakeland 50 for me, it was just about finishing as i had done an alpine 26 miler 3 weeks before and battled the puke demons for the last few hours (as i have done on every ultra to date) so was convinced i was going to end up in the same place, didn't eat for the last 10 miles but made it regardless with everything still inside me, the weather was brutal too.

Post edited at 13:02
 hokkyokusei 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Two stand out runs for me this year.

The first was the Copenhagen Half Marathon, not for my own performance, as I was pacing my oapartn. If asked she would probably say that she's not a runner, but of course she is, because she runs. It was her first half and she did it in just over 2.5 hours and I was very proud of her.

The second run would be the 1.2km that I ran/walked last Sunday. I've been suffering from a back injury and at times it's been difficult to walk, never mind run. But drugs and physio have seen some improvement and the physio suggested I give it a tentative go. I probably didn't run for more than 30 seconds or so at a time, but I was so pleased and relieved to be able to run at all that I actually had tears in my eyes when I got back.

Post edited at 13:09
 DannyC 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

It wasn't one of my two big aims, but my fondest memories are probably from the extremely hot Chevy Chase Race back in July. 

Due to a mixture of... a pleasing performance, a fun course, having mates there, a friendly low-key atmosphere, the cold hose-down at the finish line, and the tray bakes/England game combo after the race. A grand day out. 

The New NickB 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I’ve had a very bad year in my personal running, injury, illness and life getting in the way. Hardly run any races.

I ran a local 5k on the spring, just dipped under 19 minutes by a few seconds, which represented a reasonable run for the condition I was in. The best thing was that I was in about 20th place, but 10th in my club, a club that I had just taken over as chairman of. I was beaten by club mates aged 16 to 49, some of them running personal bests. I knew that the club was in good shape and the effort I had put in over the last few years helping to structure training and support athletes was making a difference.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

Just getting fitness back for me, until I ran 15 miles last weekend and tweaked my ITB.  Having a week off and hope to be running again in tge next few days.

mbh 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I wanted to run 2000 miles and I've done it, for the third time in six years. 

I had a slow start in January, after I picked my wife up off an icy road, her ankle broken after falling from her bike. Sometimes, life takes over.

Then I got going. My last Ultra had been the Classic Quarter, and I really hadn't enjoyed that. It put me off events. So, my thing, almost always, has been just running on my own, in and around the life that I have, mostly over short distances.

My prime 'achievement' has been to get out, again and again in the face of really not wanting to, but knowing that I'll be pleased when I get back (and will maybe have some fun on the way).

The single route that I'm most glad I did was to go out to Cut Hill on Dartmoor and back. Only 10 miles or so, but tussocky, hard miles, with the significant possibility of getting lost. Moors spook me.

But its the totality of it that I'm most pleased with, not any one thing.

If I'd done the BG, that would be a different story.....

Big thumbs up to TheDrunkenBakers for setting up the UKC running club. I've enjoyed that.

stuartf 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Probably my double traverse of Dartmoor back in July just before our second child was born, from Okehampton to Ivybridge and back. Set off in the evening after work and finished late the following afternoon, just over 100km and the only time I've done something completely overnight. Navigating on the featureless South Moor in the dark was fun, and it was great watching the sun rise from Western Beacon just before turning round and heading back!

tjhare1 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Jura! Few other races give such a complete weekend of fun - an adventure to get there (many on bikes), a camp in front of the distillery and the sea, a classic race, a ceilidh and great people.

For me this year it was also the beginning of the end. A bad sprain 7 miles from the end (finished the race, though a matter of seconds outside the magic 4hr mark) wrote off early summer; knee issues then ensued; to top it off I sprained the other ankle playing squash last week so am like a purple football again... here’s to a new year!

pasbury 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Piffling compared to the other achievements celebrated in this thread but I really enjoyed my first ever race last weekend; The Christmas Cracker 10k in Weston-Super-Mare. I dressed as an elf amongst hundreds of other elves, Santa’s, turkeys, Christmas trees and other strange Christmas themed outfits. Got round in 55 minutes so no great shakes but well under the hour that I was aiming for.

I have caught the bug. I finally understand after forty years of not liking running that I wasn’t running far enough!

OP BusyLizzie 13 Dec 2018
In reply to mbh:

> My prime 'achievement' has been to get out, again and again in the face of really not wanting to, 

Yes!!! I could say the same, and it is certainly an achievement. I am stuck at the moment with a lingering cold, and when i can run again i shall be so pleased just to run.

OP BusyLizzie 13 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

That is not the slightest bit piffling!

pasbury 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Well that’s very kind. I’d really like to improve my performance uphill (Weston was flat) and do some short fell races in the spring.

How do you work on the hills?

mbh 13 Dec 2018
In reply to stuartf:

> Probably my double traverse of Dartmoor back in July just before our second child was born, from Okehampton to Ivybridge and back. Set off in the evening after work and finished late the following afternoon, just over 100km and the only time I've done something completely overnight. Navigating on the featureless South Moor in the dark was fun, and it was great watching the sun rise from Western Beacon just before turning round and heading back!

I'm in awe of that, given what Dartmoor can be like. You did the 600s too. If I'd managed that,  or just a single traverse, I'd be saying so here. I hope I will, next year.

Wainers44 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A year of literal highs and lows for a 50yr+ old git like me. Great start in Feb with the 44mile Brecon Cardiff ultra in 8hrs 19. Sinking to a ego crushing low of bombing out at mile 60 in the LDWA100.

Things picked up again in August with the RAT in Cornwall completing the Black 32 mile route an hour faster than my previous effort.

Running resolutions deserve another thread, but mine will be about nutrition and will involve tinned ravioli which is slimly but seemingly satisfying so far....  

Ridge 13 Dec 2018
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> The second run would be the 1.2km that I ran/walked last Sunday. I've been suffering from a back injury and at times it's been difficult to walk, never mind run. But drugs and physio have seen some improvement and the physio suggested I give it a tentative go. I probably didn't run for more than 30 seconds or so at a time, but I was so pleased and relieved to be able to run at all that I actually had tears in my eyes when I got back.

I had tears in my eyes reading that, bloody well done and hoping it soon sorts itself out.

hokkyokusei 13 Dec 2018
In reply to Ridge:

> I had tears in my eyes reading that, bloody well done and hoping it soon sorts itself out.

Thanks, I really appreciate that

climberchristy 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

For me it was running the Lyke Wake Walk route 3 weeks ago. 40 miles across North York Moors. Walked it as a kid of 12. Despite living by the moors I've never done it since until now at age of 48. Broke wrist badly in July and had surgery. So climbing been on hold. Therefore decided to up the running. It's kept me sane.  And I've fallen in love with my local North York Moors.

Ridge 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Another great running thread!

Two stand out for me, after repeated injuries throughout 2017.

First was the Brampton - Carlisle 10m. For various reasons I have a real issue with racing, all stemming back to school sports. Even at 52 and 3/4 I still dread competitive sport and prefer to run alone. Despite the sleepless night before I had a really good run, great weather and once going I managed not to get stressed by the whole thing and enjoyed the event. Plus a lot of beers afterwards with the running club was great.

Second was tonight's run. Absolutely baltic and blowing a hoolie, but I got out onto the fells with my headtorch. Took it steady, thought about pacing and form on the descents, stretched when I felt twinges, adjusted my laces before my feet started hurting, sorted out clothing before I got too cold/hot and didn't mess up my nav. Got back to the car after just over 9 miles and thought “Really enjoyed that and still feeling pretty strong”. Been a long time since I had a run like that.

Another thumbs up to the Drunkenbakers, and hope the injury gets better soon.

Rampikino 13 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Canalathon - the length of the Rochdale canal. 50km.

Not my first Ultra but memorable for running all the way from Central Manchester up into Yorkshire. 

Brilliantly supported by my family. I was sitting 5th and 3rd male until 20 miles. I ended up 7th overall which, to me, was a stunning result as a relative newcomer to ultras.

I struggled the last 5 miles and could have hung onto my 5th with a bit more oomph, but the performance, the scenery and the camaraderie were all great.

4hrs 18 for 31 miles ain’t too shoddy, especially at 47!

Post edited at 00:05
 EuanM 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

For me it was the 90km of Mont Blanc in June. 

I was so close to dropping out at Le Tour, my wife, who I was running with, stuck with me and dragged me through it. She could easily have carried on without me.

I only finished within the cut off because she dragged me through the latter stages. 

malc 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

All runs for me this year have been memorable in someway, from the local ParkRun to Manchester Marathon in April. Two runs stand out  though this year, the first was my goal for the year (although not a run) was the Lakesman Triathlon which would be my first full distance tri. I completed the Lakesman in under 14hrs so very pleased with that. The second highlight was Snowdonia Marathon in October, certainly one of the most scenic but toughest marathons I have ever completed. I enjoyed Snowdonia so much I am going back next year.

Happy running folks.

the sheep 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A mere drop in the ocean compared to others but the 5k run to finish of my first ever (sprint) triathlon was a high point. After deciding it would be a good idea to have a bash at one at the age of 44 and having never been much of a runner (years spent playing rugby in the forwards) I managed to come in 34th over all and 4th in my age group. Very happy and somewhat gob smacked 

HB1 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

September 26th - first proper off-road hill run since my replacement hip last November. Only 4 miles or so, and, contrary to my usual "set off too fast - suffer later" I eased into it, and all the better for it! Running, of course, is not favoured as a post-hip replacement exercise, but having been a runner for 30 years or more, it's difficult to let go. I worry about falling. Coming down off Shining Tor last week I did trip up, but kept the hip out of the firing line, and carried on ( a little slower)

Tom Briggs 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

In terms of races, Arenig Fawr in August was a race that I had recommended to me and it didn't disappoint. 12Km/1000m and a lot of rough ground in a quiet part of Snowdonia. £3 entry, 30 runners. The very definition of low-key fell running. The highlights were picking a good line traversing over steep scree and making up places whilst traversing the eastern flank of Arenig Fawr and still having some beans for the final descent. 

I also had some good runs earlier in the year whilst recceing all the sections of the Kinder Dozen. In the end I never made an attempt at this, so hopefully next spring.

Neil Williams 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Finishing Lakes in a Day in utterly terrible weather (worst weather I've ever had in the hills, being well beyond the usual "sod it, let's go to the pub" threshold), proving that it was asthma that stopped me last time and not just not being up to it.

Post edited at 11:02
Gone for good 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Great thread.  I've had a busy year in both running and cycling. Just went past 1000km running for 2019 last week and about to pass 8000km on the bike.

I've run lots of different distances from Parkrun to a full marathon but my  highlight was joining my local athletics club and subsequently running in the Birmingham men's league cross country in the Welcombe hills above Stratford. It was really hard but very enjoyable and at almost 55 years old I'm enjoying my running more than at any other time in my life.  Unfortunately carrying a groin strain so easing off until the new year. I hope to run an ultra at some point. 

The New NickB 14 Dec 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

I must have seen you that day! I was following the race and one of my club mates finish one place behind you. 

My wife was running the 75k, she had won it the year before and was aiming at beating the the women’s course record. Which she did, or she would have done if a woman hadn’t won the overall event and set a new overall course record. Amazingly the first two finishers where women, Jill was third woman and sixth overall.

Euge 14 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Completing my first marathon, Loch Ness

Got the bug and now entered Brighton and Dublin next year.

Euge

Rampikino 14 Dec 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

We were blessed with good weather that day.  Chilly in the morning and stayed mild and dry all day.

Marmoteer 15 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Great thread. I have 2000miles to choose from:

I am choosing 2 runs...

My first trip out with my new fell running club; it was a night time jaunt around the Peak, first time fell running for about 6 months and I really enjoyed being show around parts of the Peak I hadn’t seen before (ie not the bits immediately next to the crags).

The second run I will choose is a recce for my first ultra...the Long Tour of Bradwell (Peak again). It was the night that England were playing (and lost) so I pretty much had the place to myself...I think I saw about 5 people in 4hrs of running.

Matt Podd 15 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The Spine Flare this June. 108 miles in 39 hrs. Amazing to move through that much landscape. Brockenspectres off the top of a hill at 4 in the morning. 

Pb in parkrun 21.30.

4 hr run over obscure hills above Swaledale seeing no one.

Great to be able to do this at 61. 

DaveHK 15 Dec 2018
In reply to Matt Podd:

Excellent stuff.

Bobling 16 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Not really done much for various excuses, but I've maintained a base level of fitness, mostly by running to/from the train.  However I've still got a couple that stand out.

1) Kids Parkrun - we tried one week and my biggest had a disaster, despite having run over 3k with me one morning on a whim he got completely spooked by the idea of running a 'race' with other people and by the distance and disintegrated into a snarling ball of fury.  I reacted badly and what was supposed to be a nice morning turned into simmering argument that lasted all day.  The next week we went back with a plan and he got round it, I was so proud of him.  Writing this has reminded me to go back and do it again!

2) On Friday my wife and I had a day off together and went for a potter close to us.  We started at 10.00 a.m. in sub-zero temperatures and then did about 8ks of lovely footpaths, steaming in the frost.  After finishing we dropped into Waitrose on the way back for delicious snacks and spent the rest of the day in front of the fire reading books and feeling virtuous.  Wonderful.  Particularly as she's only started running in the last couple of years and this would have been unthinkable for her in the not very distant past.  Happy days!

Running club?  Hmm, got to check that out!

Happy running in 2019 everyone!

More-On 17 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Two real stand outs:

Imber Ultra in March and Purbeck More than a Marathon in September.

Imber is a low key event around part of Salisbury Plain. An interesting route, jovial marshals and good cake made turning out in March almost fun!

Purbeck is a simply stunning route. The run along the closed beach front road to the finish was the icing on the cake - made me feel like a winner even though I was way down the results table.

mbh 17 Dec 2018
In reply to More-On:

> Purbeck is a simply stunning route. The run along the closed beach front road to the finish was the icing on the cake - made me feel like a winner even though I was way down the results table.

I went for a couple of runs on the Purbecks from near Corfe Castle this summer. Agree - it is a very beautiful area, and great for running.

More-On 17 Dec 2018
In reply to mbh:

Purbeck is one of my favourite parts of the country, as it is great for climbing, running, cycling etc, as well as just mucking about on the beach with the kids.

It also has far more hills than many people give it credit for!

Post edited at 17:41
 bouldery bits 17 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Day 2 of the OMM this year.

We won't discuss day 1...

mav 18 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

One of the things I love about running is exploring new places. Running around a city or town early in the morning gives you a perspective that the average tourist misses. So my most memorable runs all come from July, when we took the kids on a long-planned tour of New England & New York. To choose one from the 9 places stopped in is hard.  Williamstown was an overnight stopover, but a 10k loop meant I saw all of a classic US college town. Running along the Charles in Boston meant a lot, and the 12 mile loop around the headland of Portland, Maine was another. But cutting through a deserted Manhattan at 7 on a Sunday morning to circumnavigate Central Park, with the skyscrapers reflecting off a flat deserted boating lake was really special.

Doing stuff like that is just as valuable to me as the runs where it all comes together perfectly. I only had one run like that this year, a training run where I set out on a 13 mile route determined to pace myself and for once have enough left to finish fast, and not drag myself home, and managed it to the extent I took almost two minutes off my half marathon PB.

fimm 18 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The Lairig Ghru hill race and the Ring of Steall race. The Lairig Ghru was a beautiful sunny day and it was just great to be out in the hills. 

I had some trepidation about the Ring of Steall because of the amount of climbing so I put myself well down the field at the start, so I had to do the first climb very steadily which meant I had plenty left for the rest of the event!

TimKnight 19 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Nice thread

I've really enjoyed my running this year and can certainly relate to much of the above, at least in spirit.  Running around random cities when visiting for work or pleasure is always a nice way to explore - lapping all the tourist sites in Paris late one evening stands out.

However, having got into trail running only over the last 18 months, the highlight has to be lapping the Kentmere Horseshoe in the Eastern Lake District.  Glorious spring day with 2 mates at a chilled but persistent pace, memorable.

dmhigg 20 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Ben Aden, Sgurr a'Choire bheithe, Sgurr nan Eugallt in a loop from Kinloch Hourn. Sensory overload for 6 and a half hours. 

mbh 30 Dec 2018
In reply to stuartf:

>Probably my double traverse of Dartmoor... and then you say:

>Navigating on the featureless South Moor in the dark was fun...

How did you do that?

stuartf 30 Dec 2018
In reply to mbh:

By blundering through lots of tussocks! It was hard work because it's almost impossible to find the trods that are easy to spot in daylight. I must admit that I did refer to a GPS track from previous visits at some points...

PaulTclimbing 31 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A delayed and rescheduled winter race series at Sugar loaf. I hadn't trained. I told myself to be competitive when running even though the tank was empty all the way round. I' m good in descent and l caught loads   The final field was deep mud. I sprinted over 200 m to hold off a head to head finish. My main competitor cold not make the rescheduled event but was ahead on points. waited a week for results. I'd

won mv 50 cat  series by . 3 percent equivalent to 1 second. I had nearly not even turned up for this race and so it speaks to me on many levels. Always turn up. Never give up. Compete to the bitter end as best you can and keep thinking throughout. Never coast. In. Put your final effort in 200 m before you need as the 40 lct n the tank n hang on  

OP BusyLizzie 31 Dec 2018
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

That is very inspiring!

galpinos 31 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The LAMM.

So many reasons. It was the last one, it was on Harris, the wether was incredible, the mid camp was on a lovely beach on the west coast, I could go on and on. We also managed a respectable 12th in the B Class which, despite being in 8th after day one we were still pleased with bearing in mind our lack of training. It turns out we can blag a one day race but two days needs some preparation.

Looking forward to the new Scottish Mountain Marathon in 2019. 

Clarence 31 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

This year I managed to do a Parkrun for the first time in yonks. It was slow and I was nearly overtaken by a couple of elderly ladies walking the course but a finish is a finish. My plans for 2019 are mainly to make it a regular thing and finish in less than 40 mins at some point.

Yeah, it's no ultramarathon but it's the best I can do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...