Night Watch, Whitestone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

...anyone happen to know if it’s likely to be dry at the moment and what it’d be like finding the bottom of the route in the dark? 

In reply to Dave Turnbull, BMC:

I'm sure Franco & Co will be along in a minute. I did it earlier in the year after a few days of rain and one dry day and it was OK, but that was in May. With decent headtorches the bottom of the route is fairly easy to find I would say, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure it'll be a mere trifle to a man of your calibre.

petegunn 10 Dec 2018

Easy to find in the dark. The descent down from the car park can be quite slippery though, sometimes people put a rope down the gully to help.

Simon Caldwell 11 Dec 2018

I'd expect it to be fairly dry at the moment, but it's OK when damp anyway. The start is pretty unmistakable. Go down the descent gully (definitely use a rope), turn right (looking out), follow small track through the undergrowth, brings you to the bottom of the main buttress just right of TNW which starts up the obvious chimney corner just left. Left of here the path continues immediately next to the face, until you get to a big tree where it turns 90 degrees left which should alert you if you've gone too far.

TobyA 11 Dec 2018

I did it last year. As long as you find the top of the gully descent, you won't go wrong. Probably safest and easiest to ab down the gully, once you're at the bottom the climb is only a few metres climbers left from the bottom of the gully. It's the massive crack/chimney. Can't miss it really!

Simon Caldwell 11 Dec 2018
In reply to TobyA:

> As long as you find the top of the gully descent

Good point!

The landmark to look for is a bench on the left of the path in a small clearing overlooking the edge. The gully is down to the right of this facing out, there's usually a small path through the bracken.

Very good, sounds doable, thanks everyone, hoping to do it tomorrow pm if can motivate 18 yr old Harry T whose battling the elements on a CAN geotech project on the Scarborough coast right now.

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 12 Dec 2018

Just to the left both Countdown Direct, and Central Crack are worthwhile too.

Post edited at 09:42
 sfletch 12 Dec 2018

In the full sun at present, looked okay on Monday in the sun but shrouded in mist yesterday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...