Additional Olympic funding for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Southvillain 07 Dec 2018

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/news/2018/12/07/new-sports-backed-by-aspiration-f...

Climbing and karate, the other new sports for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, currently receive UK Sport individual athlete medal support plan funding but are both backed with additional investment from the fund.

Climbing £192,500

rogersavery 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Southvillain:

It will be interesting to see who’s pocket that ends up in

Removed User 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Southvillain:

What a load of sh1t.

stp 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah it seems a lot considering at the most only two athletes will actually get to compete.

But I suppose it would be much better if that money was available for more of the team as a whole to compete through the World Cup seasons. It says "Fund designed to help support athletes and sports to qualify and prepare for Tokyo 2020". Well could that include support to fund some of the team to World Cup events I wonder? After all if you don't compete in World Cups and other international events you're not going to have much chance of winning a medal.

The last stuff about funding I believe only included Shauna. Considering her year long injury maybe they'll consider including more athletes now. Molly and Will Bosi are obvious deserving candidates.

is2 07 Dec 2018
In reply to stp:

Do we not have any good paralympics prospects ?

Si Witcher 07 Dec 2018
In reply to is2:

Is climbing in the 2020 paralympics? I didn't think it was.

Ian W 07 Dec 2018
In reply to is2:

Climbing isn't in the paralympics.

Post edited at 19:03
 Ian W 07 Dec 2018
In reply to stp:

If you don't compete at world cups, i dont see how you will be able to compete at the qualifying events .........

Post edited at 19:06
 Ian W 07 Dec 2018
In reply to rogersavery:

> It will be interesting to see who’s pocket that ends up in

Probably a combination of coaches, physios, travelagents, airlines, hotels, walls, sportscientists and so on. You know, the usual support neworks of world class athletes.

is2 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Si Witcher:

You are correct sorry for asking a truly dumb question. 

stp 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Ian W:

Good point and I've no doubt that the cost of travel alone could add up pretty quickly, particularly if non-climbing members (like coaches, physio etc.) go too - like most successful teams seem to have.

gravy 07 Dec 2018
In reply to rogersavery:

In the pockets of the usual suspects and used to fuel the ponzi scheme

Ian W 08 Dec 2018
In reply to gravy:

> In the pockets of the usual suspects and used to fuel the ponzi scheme

Do explain..........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...