Scottish Ski Touring - February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samrichards95 04 Dec 2018

Hi,

I've booked onto a ski touring course at Glenmore Lodge in February and I'm planning on staying on afterwards for a few days to do some touring. Does anyone have any suggestions for beginner to intermediate ski tours around  Glenmore Lodge and the Caingorms ski area, I've got plenty of off-piste experience but just starting touring. Potentially with the option of staying in a bothy along the way for a night. We may have a car so are open to suggestions in other areas. 

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Mark Bull 04 Dec 2018
In reply to samrichards95:

The classic tour is from the ski area up to Point 1141m, via Coires Raibert and Domhain to Ben Macdui and back via (or round) Cairn Lochan and down Lurcher's Gully. This is best done on a good vis day as the navigation is potentially quite tricky.  

For a short day, skiing and skinning lines of the S and E side of Cairngorm is a good option, but the course may well include that anyway. 

Otherwise, options will depend on snow cover. Sgor Gaoith from Glen Feshie can be good. A' Chailleach from out the back of Newtonmore is a short and easy tour. There are several good options on either side of Drumochter Pass. 

You might want to leave an overnight trip for now unless you are used to skiing with a heavy pack on. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...