Over trousers for running ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 03 Dec 2018

I know this is almost "what camera should I buy ?" , however ... recommendations for fell running overtrousers  please . I have all sorts of salsopettes , winter climbing / skiing kit , but nothing that I would actually wear to fell run in  rather than just stick in my bag and not put on . Thanks in advance .

drdjpower 03 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

I almost never use them. Decent leggings almost always do the job for me, even in wet winters. But when forced to... Montane Featherlite keep the wind and cold out and seem waterproof enough. I also have OMM Kamleika trousers (for when race kit lists demand it) which are good and breathable.

Pedro50 03 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

I carry Montane minimus overtrousers as a precaution when I hope not to wear them as they are pretty well the lightest waterproof over trousers. If I expect to wear them I take OMM Kamleika as although they are heavier they are stretchy and not noisy.

Montane Featherlite Pants are even lighter and brilliant but not claimed to be fully waterproof. I carry these if I am walking in shorts but want something if it gets cold or a bit wet. 

yorkshireman 03 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Like others have said I only wear them as a last resort, or carry them as emergency kit or if a race demands them as in most conditions leggings are better.

I've got the Salomon Bonnatti - they're pretty lightweight but I find the waist drawstring isn't very good and they slide down as you're running. I pulled them out at the top of Ventoux in a trail race in March - I started the race in shorts in 16º weather and at the top it was 120kph wind and 60cm of snow. In my haste I put them on the wrong way round, and had also broken a trekking pole on the way up so was carrying the remnants of that in one hand, so having to hold my trousers up with the other. I really wasn't happy.

I used them (properly) in the TDS this year when the heavens really opened around the Col de Petit Saint Bernard - they did the job but I'm sure for the money there are better pairs out there.

ianstevens 03 Dec 2018
In reply to drdjpower:

This. A decent pair of tights, if you’re moving enough to stay warm (aka, running) will be fine in all but the foulest of downpours. Light running specific waterproof trousers are great (I’ve got a pair of the OMM ones) but if you’re actually working hard will get wetter on the inside than the out - they’re just not that breathable. I take mine when a)race directors say so and/or b) for when shit hits the proverbial fan.

The Potato 03 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Agree with above. Some fell races require full body coverage so Ive got some Target Dry trousers which are both light and inexpensive, I think ive worn them once on a walk and they seem fine but will never wear them for running. For example I did the Marmot dark mountains event a couple of years ago where there was horizontal snow and ice and they stayed in my bag as they were a race requirement. I either wear lycra shorts or some softshell trousers if its properly harsh.

Neil Williams 03 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

> I know this is almost "what camera should I buy ?" , however ... recommendations for fell running overtrousers  please . I have all sorts of salsopettes , winter climbing / skiing kit , but nothing that I would actually wear to fell run in  rather than just stick in my bag and not put on . Thanks in advance .

For me?  Shorts (or if it's really cold tights), and more layers on my top half.  I can't imagine any weather conditions I would want to run in where this would not work.  (I don't like running in snow/ice as I am not steady footed enough, to be fair).

Post edited at 12:37
In reply to The Potato:

I carry hillwalking overtrousers on such races (a) to comply with the rules and (b) in case I get injured and have to stop.  I wouldn't enter a race which required them to be worn throughout.

Post edited at 12:37
 Dark-Cloud 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

>   I wouldn't enter a race which required them to be worn throughout.

No races do as far as i am aware. It's a precaution.

Its fine wearing shorts if you are moving, but turn an ankle and reduce to a hobble and your body is going to be dumping heat pretty quickly if its wet and windy.

Post edited at 12:45
OP mike123 03 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123: thank you all for the input .I will take a look at all the recommendations and try to try them all on I( shouldn't be hard in keswick . Similarly to most people I dont tend to carry anything because I dont / won't put it on . I intend to try to try to find something from the above that I don't  mind wearing .

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> No races do as far as i am aware. It's a precaution.

Yeah, I haven't heard of one that specified in any way what you had to wear, only what you had to carry (other than a few that state when head torches must be used - which does put me off a race as I prefer a hand torch when running and have very good night vision so may not even want anything on if I'm not on a road where it has a different purpose of being seen rather than just seeing).

> Its fine wearing shorts if you are moving, but turn an ankle and reduce to a hobble and your body is going to be dumping heat pretty quickly if its wet and windy.

Yes, this is very true.  When I had to drop out of Lakes in a Day in 2017, I was wearing everything I was carrying (which was a lot more kit than most) and was still cold.

Post edited at 21:02
 DaveHK 03 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

I bought a pair of really cheap, light trousers from Mountain Warehouse intending to just carry them to pass kit checks and for emergencies. I've actually worn them in anger a few times and they work so well I see no need to upgrade to a 'proper' brand.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/trousers-shorts/mens-waterproof-trou...

Post edited at 21:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...