Insulating jacket for uk mountains in winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi

just starting to venture into mountain winter walking.  Looking for a very warm jacket to throw over everything else. Once I get cold find it hard to warm up so looking for something very warm. People say down is best but I’m v reluctant to get down because I’m going to be wearing this primarily (but not exclusively) UK & it always rains. What would people suggest? Thanks

In reply to leon 1:

Thanks Leon, I’ll take a look at that. Someone said absolute zero parka. Overkill? Also I’m not sure how water proof it is

Andy Hardy 02 Dec 2018
In reply to Newbie-in-London:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/

Have a look at buffalo stuff. Really old skool, but it works, made in the UK and pretty robust.

AlanLittle 02 Dec 2018

> Someone said absolute zero parka. Overkill?

Totally

thwapy 02 Dec 2018

Look at the Rab Photon X. I’ve had mine a year now and it is easily the best non-down jacket I have ever owned and I have a bit of a jacket ‘issue’ ????

Super warm Primaloft Gold, great hood, baffle and zip pulls, it is worth serious consideration.

Jimbob11 02 Dec 2018

The usual suspects will pop up, ME Fitzroy, Rab Photon X. I had a Photon X and it was excellent but purchased the wrong size and then medium was out of stock, gutted, then however I purchased a Black Diamond Stance Belay Parka and it is absolutely superb for me, I feel the cold when I stop and and/or belaying, this thing is toasty. 

Post edited at 22:12
 Andy Hardy 02 Dec 2018

Dunno, never worn one. Soz

Connorh 02 Dec 2018

Had my montane flux for 2 years, its still going strong despite me wearing it constantly. Would recomend and its relatively  cheap too.

Post edited at 23:08
 afx22 02 Dec 2018

I tend to overheat while moving in a belay jacket so I prefer the ‘active insulation’.  I have a Rab Alpha Direct Jacket and it’s brilliant.  Warm but more breathable all the other synthetic (or down) jackets I have.  My mate has an Arcteryx Argus jacket that he raves about.

i still carry a synthetic belay jacket for stops or just in case.

ShortLock 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I swear by my Buffalo for wearing all day in cold weather, but it’s definitely not ideal as an extra layer- too heavy and bulky to mainly carry round compared to a Primaloft layer, say.

I use a Haglöfs Barrier III as my belay jacket in winter, works for me and is available at a reasonable price (£65 without a hood or £87 with, at a cursory google). Could do with a chunkier, two-way zip, but I can’t fault much else. 

tehmarks 03 Dec 2018

I've had  Montane Flux for years now, and it does the job perfectly. I only use it when stopped though - I don't think I've ever been cold enough to need it on the move. I'd stay away from down for use in the UK.

For insulation on the move I use a Patagonia Nano Air under a softshell, which is warm enough yet versatile enough for everything from chilly UK days on the hill through to freezing cold early starts in the Alps. But I'm not a particuarly cold person when I'm active.

Any thoughts on Rab Valiance (down but waterproof outer shell) https://rab.equipment/uk/women-s-valiance-jacket

v rab photon x. 

Mark Haward 03 Dec 2018

As others have suggested a synthetic ( probably primaloft ) jacket such as the ME Fitzroy or RAB equivalent would suit well for the UK. Size it large to go over everything as you are most likely to only wear it when you are stopped so it will probably need to go over all your other layers. 

I personally prefer a separate waterproof and insulating layer. If it is raining it is likely to be mild so having an insulated waterproof would be too warm for me for UK use. A good synthetic jacket will go over everything when you are chilly, including your waterproof if required. Then it is removed before you start moving again. I have an old RAB Generator Alpine which has been superb for years. 

lucozade 03 Dec 2018

Flux has worked for me except in very cold gnarly weather, legend of a jacket and can take a beating too. A warm baselayer will help keep you toasty too if just walking. Otherwise something like the Rab Photon X or equivalent if you feel the cold or want something warmer. Simond used to do a warm synthetic jacket at a great price but inexplicably stopped making it sadly...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...