synthetic overbag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Grobbo 29 Nov 2018

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an oversized, fairly lightweight synthetic bag that will fit over a 2 season down bag without squashing its loft. Has anyone discovered any (cheap-ish) options that work well?  The PHD one is way beyond my budget.

TobyA 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Grobbo:

I used to use a cheapish Haglof one which was quite broad and fitted my ME down bag well inside. But I must have bought it 15 years ago so not much help I'm afraid. I guess going to Decathlon or Go Outdoors and just looking at how different models vary in shape would be your best bet.

If you can find a suitable bag, I suspect you'll find the system works rather well. My old ME bag was rated to I think -7 and by putting the basic Haglof bag over it, I could keep warm down into the low negative teens. Particularly when car camping, it got me through a good few Finnish winters.

oldie 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Grobbo:

If you move with the bag rather than within it you might consider a mummy fibre pile bag inside. This shouldn't compress a differentially cut down bag outside it and a simple one might be easy to make if nothing commercial was available.
Failing that it might be possible to use a synthetic sale price kid's bag, from Millet's etc, as an inner; possibly joining up parts of two so you had both length and a hood. Apologies for not answering the original question and I have no practical experience of this.

Siward 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Grobbo:

I've toyed with making one from thinsulate and pertex.

e.g. https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/thinsulate-cs150-insulated-wadding

Would be quite an easy project if you've any experience of sewing,

ebdon 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Grobbo:

I use a really cheap decathlon jobbie, has served me well outside my big down bag on several trips to Alaska. 

Dr.S at work 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Grobbo:I’ve got a mammut know kompakt 

Dr.S at work 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Grobbo:

Shit, this beer is strong!

i’ve got A mammut kompkakt one season bag that fits over a down bag well. Really most cheap one season bags do the job as generally have a loose cut. I’d worry some of the lighter synthetic bags that offer high performance would be a bit tight.

Bellie 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Grobbo:

On a hunt for something else I saw a Snugpak 'The Sleeping Bag'. which looked like it might be a looser fit, and not too over spec'd bag.  At under £30.  I thought of this thread.

I used to have a Snugpak synthetic bag and it was well made.

Grobbo 05 Dec 2018
In reply to everyone,

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I've just settled on a squared- off, "envelope" style cheapie from Highlander, mainly because the filling rejoices in the title "7 hole Qualofill", albeit only 100 g.s.m. (!)

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...