Printer - USB/Ethernet vs WiFi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 23 Nov 2018

Although my current printer has WiFi I've been using it with an ethernet connect, having always found it less problematic than WiFi.

I am told that because WiFi is, in effect, a radio connection it can be affected by interference.

Anyone on UKC prefer cable to WiFi?

In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

Always cable if it reaches and isnt a hazard.

Snyggapa 23 Nov 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

cables always work. WIFI generally works but sometimes decides it won't, generally when you want it to in a hurry...

Removed User 23 Nov 2018

Been looking at Currys. They all seem to be WiFi

Removed User 23 Nov 2018

Anyone know if wireless printers can also be connected with a cable instead?

Larefia 23 Nov 2018

Under the Connectivity specification for the printer you fancy check it has the following:

USB port

and

Wireless/WiFi enabled

you then have the choice of cable OR Wifi

johnwright 23 Nov 2018

Ive got a HP wireless printer and it came with a printer cable. It is mainly for setting up, being a lazy git I can't be bothered to set up the wireless bit.

Tringa 23 Nov 2018

Most of the time (ie 95% plus) our HP Officejet Pro 8100 works via Wifi with no problem.

The main problem seems to be our daughter's laptop in a room about 20 feet away from the router. Sometimes, like about 20mins ago, she could not print even though the router and her laptop said everything is OK.

The other problem is if the broadband goes down, which is a very rare event. Sometimes, but not always, after this I have to re-set the printer via the cable before it will allow printing via WIfi.

Dave

> Anyone know if wireless printers can also be connected with a cable instead?

Yes. Although your current printer has WiFi you've been using it with an Ethernet connect.

The Lemming 23 Nov 2018

Is it possible to print from an Android phone?

Luke90 24 Nov 2018

> Anyone know if wireless printers can also be connected with a cable instead?

Depends which type of cable you're talking about. All the wireless printers will also have the option of connecting to a single computer by USB. Some of them will have an Ethernet connection that lets you plug them into your router to connect to any other computer on the network (look for "Ethernet" in the wired connection section of the detailed specs).

In my experience, Ethernet gives you the best of both worlds. Less flaky than WiFi but still with the convenience of printing from any computer on your network.

(Of course, it's only convenient if you can locate the printer close enough to your router to plug it in. You can get long Ethernet cables quite cheaply but I don't suppose many people want to festoon their house with them.)

Post edited at 08:09
 Luke90 24 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> Is it possible to print from an Android phone?

The printers with Google Cloud Print will let you do that easily.

For printers without that feature, you can still add the printer to Cloud Print using Chrome on a computer that's connected to the printer. If you use this method, you'll only be able to print from your phone when that computer is turned on.

The Cloud Print service isn't just for printing from phones. It will let you print when you're not at home as well.

Luke90 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> Yes. Although your current printer has WiFi you've been using it with an Ethernet connect.

Not all WiFi printers have Ethernet connections. Some do, some don't.

Or, at least, some don't mention Ethernet in their specs. I haven't checked them all in person.

Mal Grey 24 Nov 2018

Yep, cable all the time. Gave up with the WiFi connection quite quickly. Did get it to work occasionally, but never when I wanted to print something immediately and without swearing.

yorkshire_lad2 27 Nov 2018

Depend on  your configuration, set up, and need to share the printer. 

Some printers do have an ethernet port (or you can add an extra network card, but usually high end models).  I use USB cable cos it's only me and the printer, no need to share, and the printer is close enough to the computer that a USB cable is fine.  USB cable only needs setting up once, and as it's end-to-end probably don't worry about a failure on the the router or the network.

If you want to share the printer, wireless printing is probably best for all concerned.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...