Winter mountaineering by bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 19 Nov 2018

Does anyone have any suggestions for winter mountaineering (from 'interesting walking' through to II) from a bothy - either being based in a bothy for a couple of days, or even better as a several day bothy tour?

My lack of familiarity with Scotland isn't helping put a plan together. My guidebook is in Newcastle and I only have a map of Nevis area in my house (along with a couple of excellent coffee table books). Google is obviously proving useful, but piecing everything together is proving painful. And personal recommendation is always good.

I've already clocked that Ryvoan would make a decent base for a couple of days, and the Duror bothy is quite handy for the Ballachulish horsehoe. Any other great suggestions? The wilder and more remote the better.

In reply to tehmarks:

Creag a'choire Etchachan's Hutchison Memorial Hut might suit. 

The climbing in the Choire Etchachan is probably all slightly harder than grade II but you could possibly tie it in with a visit to the Hell's Lum area. Plenty of interesting walking to be had in that area also or even better if you have a set of skis. 

Post edited at 15:53
OP tehmarks 19 Nov 2018
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

> even better if you have a set of skis. 

We'll be making an early-season trip (mid December), and more importantly I'll be staying away from skis for a bit after my February mishap! Similarly ridges are probably better options than low-grade gullies which may not have formed by then.

III is good by me, pushing to IV, but for the most part we're interested in less technical things with a proper mountain feel to them for this trip. Maybe with a day or two of more technical fun

J Whittaker 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Shenevall Bothy and An Teallach ridge. Its on my list to do. Ticks the remote box, the grade box and stars box.

An Teallach Ridge (Winter) (II)

Beinn Eighe and Liathach aren't too far from there either.

Post edited at 16:07
In reply to tehmarks:

You could try:

Ben Alder Cottage for the Leachas ridges (I) on Ben Alder - Culra was better placed but is closed due to asbestos

Coiremor/Magoos bothy for Creag an Duine ridge (I/II) onto Seana Bhraigh

Shenavall as already mentioned. It's not totally logical as a base for an An Teallach traverse but would be ideal for stuff on Beinn Dearg Mor/Bheag. A traverse of those two including the NW ridge of Bheag would be at least I

Camban for Mullach Fraoch Choire south ridge (I)

The round of Coire Dhorcaill (I) on Ladhar Bheinn from Barrisdale (it's not a great bothy though)

Corrour, then walk round to the NE ridge of Sgurr an Lochan Uaine (I)

Gelder shiel bothy for Central Buttress on Lochnagar (II)

...there's loads more of course

Jim C 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

The MBA website has an online map  and grid references, no one needs a Bothy guidebook to plan a trip. 

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/location-map/

Jim C 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Corrour is an option to look at. 

Edit, I see Dan has already suggested Corrour.

Post edited at 18:22
Jim C 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Where are you now ?

i have a waterproof map of the Nevis area, if I could get it to you, but I assume you are not able to buy one because if where you are now located ?

Post edited at 18:27
OP tehmarks 19 Nov 2018
In reply to Jim C:

I don't have a climbing guidebook.

Thanks for the offer(!) but Nevis area is the only map I do have, and I don't have maps of anywhere else because, well, I'm lazy! Rather than end up with maps for every major mountain area in Scotland, I'm hoping to put together a sensible plan for a couple of different areas and then buy fewer maps. But of course, it's hard to plan without a map to begin with.

That said, I'm about to buy a subscription to OS Maps online. Problem solved.

Post edited at 18:44
 PPP 19 Nov 2018
 PPP 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Bing.com maps have free OS maps for browsing and it's good enough to plan the route on a larger screen. Then buy paper map for the trip. They last ages if you take care of them anyway. 

Andy Johnson 19 Nov 2018
In reply to PPP:

> Ultimate one would be a tour of Barisdale and Sourlies bothies with a return to Kinloch Hourn or Inverie

It's worth noting that Barrisdale bothy has no fireplace and could get a tad cold in winter conditions.

Post edited at 19:15
 jethro kiernan 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I’ll be watching this post with interest as I have similar plans ????

thanks in advance 

jethro kiernan 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I’ll be watching this post with interest as I have similar plans ????

thanks in advance 

Phil1919 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Loch Ossian is a great base. Nice place and good in wet weather etc. Arriving by train really adds to it. Bothys in reach of it if you really insist on being cold.

Removed User 19 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Some esoteric ones.

Bearnais. If it's cold enough there's stuff to do on Creag a' Chaorainn to the North and Sgurr Choinnich to the East in its Northern Corrie. 

I don't know its name but there's a bothy between Fuar Toll and Ruadh Stac Bheag. Plenty to get your teeth into there but the bothy is less than an hour from the road so not very remote.

If Foinaven looked in nick then Strabeg would be a good base.

There's a bothy called Poca Bhuide between Beinn an Eoin and Baos Bheinn that's a nice spot. It would make a nice base for the Torridon hills if there wasn't too much soft snow around.

Backhill O' Bush for the Dow Spout and stuff on Dungeon hill/Craignaw. It would need to be cold but it's not so far to drive.

Finally you could do a tour, Beinn Dronaig Lodge > Bearnais > Meall Bhuidhe.

Post edited at 20:49
 Simon Caldwell 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> There's a bothy called Poca Bhuide between Beinn an Eoin and Baos Bheinn 

That's now locked isn't it?

ScraggyGoat 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

It was locked-up a fair few years ago, haven't seen any mention of it being reopened.  Shame its a nice location.

Removed User 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

It's a while since I've been there so you might be right.

OP tehmarks 20 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks all - some great suggestions there that I'll have fun investigating.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...