Off to Cape Wrath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lee birtwistle 16 Nov 2018

Off up to Cape Wrath next week on the bike. Probably from Ullapool

First real cycle adventure - bit of a kit trial ready for big cycle tour next year in Canada

Any tips welcome.

subtle 16 Nov 2018
In reply to lee birtwistle:

Cycle on the left

Watch out for lots and lots of cars on the main road heading out of Ullapool (NC 500 very very busy)

Ensure you have enough food or have looked in advance for places (that are open at this time of year) to buy food from

Take rain gear - you will need it

Remember to look at the scenery when passing through it - easy to forget that on a bike

Have fun - good luck - let us know how you get on

mp3ferret 16 Nov 2018

The bunkhouse at Durness is open all year.

The ferry is unlikely to be running - so unlikely that you'll get to cape wrath.

If you're positive that you want to get to the cape then there's a bridge just south of Durness.  Use this and then traverse around the parve back on to the road.

It's not possible to cycle from Sandwood bay up to cape wrath - i know - I've tried.

Good luck and have fun.

In reply to mp3ferret:

Sandswood bay to wrapth 

good lock with that on a bike  

tip is to hit low water crossing sandswood lock 

do come back and tell us your tale 

Matt Clifton 16 Nov 2018

It's amazing - Can't speak to the bit to Cape Wrath but I rode from Durness to Ullapool on the NC500 Easter last year. Absolutely stunning.  Take less than you think given you're carrying it and do plan the food stops. We found cafes pretty sparse round there but stopped in Lochinver, Kylesku and Durness on that route.

Matt

Paul Evans 17 Nov 2018

I've walked from Cape Wrath to Sandwood and I'll be impressed if you do that on a bike. Also it is an MoD firing range - you can phone up and find when its open or closed. Can't advise about coming in from Durness if ferry not running, looks about 3 miles of pretty tough ground coming in from the south to get to the start of the track at the west end of the ferry crossing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...