How to find a new dentist (tips/gotchas)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 13 Nov 2018

OK, so I'm taking the plunge, and moving dentist.  Always used same (Suffolk) dental practice (and only had two dentists at that practice in 50+ years so I figure I'm lucky), but it's where I grew up, and I've always managed to combine visits to dentist with visits to family etc, but I think it's time to move to somewhere closer to what I currently call home (for the last 19 years).  In case it's of use, I'm  near Skipton North Yorkshire.

Does anyone have any pointers / tips /gotchas / reasons to pick a dentist / signs to avoid a dentist etc.  At the moment, it's asking around friends and colleagues.  I'm tempted to aim for a practice where there's more than one dentist so there's cover rather than someone who's single-handed.  There aren't many NHS dentists around here (and the ones that there are aren't taking on new NHS patients at the moment); I've been on Denplan for a number of years, and don't have to stay with that, but don't mind either NHS or private.

Any thoughts / pointers?
TIA
Allan

Lornajkelly 14 Nov 2018
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Certainly in central Leeds I was limited to where is accepting new NHS patients!  Of the ones I found in Leeds that were taking new patients I went with the closest.  Thankfully I managed to get an appointment fairly soon and, even more of a relief, saw a dentist who was sympathetic to my panic issues.  If you're not limited to NHS only you're probably going to get seen sooner, but proximity to work (if you're going to get daytime appointments) or home would be crucial for me.  With Leeds traffic I don't want to have to set 2 hours aside to go to the dentist.  Other than that, sometimes it's just trial and error to find someone you get on with.

Babika 14 Nov 2018

Book for an initial check up.

See how you get on. 

Being a scaredy cat my choice of dentist is about personality as much as ability, given that they are all professionally qualified which is why I drive 40 miles round trip to stay with one I trust and like.

marsbar 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Babika:

Totally agree.  

Dax H 14 Nov 2018

I got on the NHS waiting list when I moved house, after about 9 months I got a call one morning saying a place had come available but I had to come for a check up that day. I said I couldn't because I was working 80 miles away when she rang and I was told if I couldn't get there that day the place would be offered to the next person on the list and I would drop back to the start again. A bit harsh in my opinion but I ended up having to bin the job so I could get there. 

Pedro50 14 Nov 2018

Go private you only get one adult set. I have 3 monthly hygiene and my dental health has improved enormously.

Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Babika:

They might all be professionally qualified but they’re not all competent, as I know to my cost. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...