Quality of UKC photo uploads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 11 Nov 2018

I find that photos uploaded to UKC come out on here with a dull bluey/grey wash to them and so often look disappointing compared with my originals. It does not happen with other places I upload to such as Facebook (where they seem indistinguishable). It does not seem to just be my computer because it's there on other monitors too. I'm not sure whether it's a recent thing, but I seem to have noticed it more recently. It's more noticeable with some photos than others. I've tried uploading "warmer" slightly more contrasty versions of photos, but with no way to preview them, it's a bit hit and miss.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it just me (and in which case what might be the explanation)?

Mal Grey 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

I've wondered this myself, but never really looked carefully.

I've just opened one of my photos on UKC, Flickr and from file in Windows Picture viewer or whatever it is now, and compared them on the same laptop screen. If I'm honest, I can't tell the difference if I look carefully. The initial impression is that the Flickr one has most saturation, but actually, I'm 99% sure that's because its the only one that opens on a dark background rather than a light.

OP Robert Durran 11 Nov 2018
 Mal Grey 11 Nov 2018

Hmm. If I'm honest mate, I can't see the difference. Might just be me.

Myfyr Tomos 11 Nov 2018

A preview "thingy" before commiting would be grand!

FactorXXX 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Mal Grey:

> Hmm. If I'm honest mate, I can't see the difference. Might just be me.

Same here and that includes if I download them and look at them in Photo Viewer/Irfanview/Photoshop, etc. 
The only difference is that the Facebook image is in theory better quality due to its resolution. 

ChrisJD 11 Nov 2018

There is zero real difference I can see. Colour managed NEC monitor. Viewed in Google Chrome browser.

Here's a screen shot, side-by-side at the same time:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf1c7hacy6a6gmj/Capture.JPG?dl=0

UKC left, Facebook right

Post edited at 19:47
 DaveHK 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Mal Grey:

> Hmm. If I'm honest mate, I can't see the difference. Might just be me.

Me neither but I don't have the best eye for these things.

Luke90 11 Nov 2018

Is it possible that it's an optical illusion caused by different backgrounds surrounding the picture?

Facebook, for example, displays pictures against a black background.

In reply to ChrisJD:

> There is zero real difference I can see. Colour managed NEC monitor. Viewed in Google Chrome browser.

> Here's a screen shot, side-by-side at the same time:

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf1c7hacy6a6gmj/Capture.JPG?dl=0

> UKC left, Facebook right

I agree they look more or less indistinguishable there - very puzzling! It's hard to see why I'm consistently seeing such an obvious difference in my photos (Firefox on a laptop), though I'm clueless about the technology!

In reply to Luke90:

> Is it possible that it's an optical illusion caused by different backgrounds surrounding the picture?

> Facebook, for example, displays pictures against a black background.

It's not this because both on UKC and FB, the photo is on a white background until you click on it and it goes to a black background - I don't perceive any difference when I do this but I do see a difference between the two whatever the backgrounds.

FactorXXX 11 Nov 2018

> I agree they look more or less indistinguishable there - very puzzling! It's hard to see why I'm consistently seeing such an obvious difference in my photos (Firefox on a laptop), though I'm clueless about the technology!

If there is truly a difference, then I'm guessing that there is something strange going on with different colour profiles being introduced somewhere in your workflow.
If you've got Photoshop, try the 'Save for Web' function and select 'sRGB' as that should save your image as it will be displayed on most websites. 

In reply to FactorXXX:

> If there is truly a difference, then I'm guessing that there is something strange going on with different colour profiles being introduced somewhere in your workflow.

> If you've got Photoshop, try the 'Save for Web' function and select 'sRGB' as that should save your image as it will be displayed on most websites. 

Not got photoshop...........

But why would I see a difference, but others not?!

And it's not just my laptop - same thing on my work computer.

John2 11 Nov 2018

Well I'm with you, Robert. I compared a couple of mine, and the UKC colours seemed a little less saturated. I'm pretty sure that UKC reduce the resolution, as well.

timparkin 11 Nov 2018

I've just saved them and copied them into Photoshop and they both have sRGB profiles attached and look identical.

Can you save them both out and compare them in the same software (preview? whatever?). If they're different then something is changing them when they arrive in your browser. For instance, some mobile data providers do treat images differently. Are you on mobile or wireless perhaps? Try comparing them on another network?

I can see no difference in tone, hue or colour balance. The Facebook image is possibly very, very slightly more saturated.

FactorXXX 11 Nov 2018

> But why would I see a difference, but others not?!
> And it's not just my laptop - same thing on my work computer.

Is it the same browser (Firefox) on both computers?
What happens if you save both images onto your Desktop and then open them up and view them?

In reply to timparkin:

> Can you save them both out and compare them in the same software (preview? whatever?).

I'll try.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Is it the same browser (Firefox) on both computers?

Firefox at home. Explorer at work. I could try Chrome.........

> What happens if you save both images onto your Desktop and then open them up and view them?

I'll try!

OP Robert Durran 12 Nov 2018
In reply to John2:

> Well I'm with you, Robert. I compared a couple of mine, and the UKC colours seemed a little less saturated.

I have three photos uploaded this morning. Rather than trying versions with slightly warmer colour and a bit more contrast, this time I tried increasing saturation a bit. To me they now just look oversaturated on UKC! Two of them anyway. I think the problem is colour balance rather than saturation.

John2 12 Nov 2018

I'm assuming that UKC downsize photos above a certain size, which affects the colour balance very slightly as well as decreasing the resolution.

mrphilipoldham 12 Nov 2018

They're identical on my MacBook Pro in Safari. 

OP Robert Durran 12 Nov 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

And they are identical on my Android phone in Chrome (I don't know why I never thought to check that before).

Sean Kelly 12 Nov 2018

The other problem with the UKC site is that panoramas are just too small. They promised that this would change but we are still waiting.

Also if I look at the photo quality I get on my blog, it is just so much better. So I think you certainly have a good point Rob.

OP Robert Durran 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> The other problem with the UKC site is that panoramas are just too small.

If you click on them, they go more or less across the screen, just like other photos. I don't think UKC can do more than that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...