Audiobook Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 05 Nov 2018

Looking for a reccomendation (or ten) for a good audiobook to listen to on the daily commute. A good crime drama / psycho thriller / supernatural / comedy / drama / scifi / fantasy well anything in fact as long as it is well written (ie not Dan Brown etc). Anything too high brow may be counter productive  as they tend to lead to me drifting off to sleep, which is great if you are in bed, less so when behind  the wheel !

All suggestions welcome ...

In reply to GravitySucks:

Try John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids and The Kraken Wakes; though they're getting dated now, they're still good stories well told.  Part of me wonders how the first might be adapted to a GM world and the second to global warming, but I suspect that they're best left as they are.

Bill Bryson's travel books work surprisingly well in an audio format too.

T.

climbingpixie 05 Nov 2018

I listened to Dark Matter by Michelle Paver a while ago and really rated it. Enjoyed might not be the right word, it's actually incredibly creepy and works very well as an audiobook for that ghost stories by the fire vibe.

I've mostly used my audible subscription for fantasy epics (great value for a single credit) and nowadays I tend to listen when I'm running. I've really enjoyed the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson and the Joe Abercrombie books as well. I also listen to quite a lot of Stephen King and just finished the Dark Tower books. But a while ago I went through a John Le Carre jag as I got a load of free audio books from the Guardian and they were also great, especially the spy who came in from the cold. That had me sobbing in my car on the M1 on my way to work at one point! 

For comedy I really rate all the series of Cabin Pressure, if you never caught them when they were on the radio. They've also had me in tears at times!

Post edited at 16:16
OP GravitySucks 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Like me, you seem to be showing your age   As a young lad I was an avid reader of John Wyndham's works and have probably read most if not all, multiple times !

I could probably say the same of  Bill Bryson (although a few years later)

OP GravitySucks 05 Nov 2018
In reply to climbingpixie:

'Dark Matter' was great and I have just finished 'Thin Air' by the same author which may be of interest to  the members of this forum.

I will check out your other suggestions, thanks.

P.s. I have probably listened to every episode of Cabin Pressure (a - z) so many times that I can quote them verbatim, they're brilliant!

It's a fair cop guv, you got me bang to rights . . .  

T.

Bellie 06 Nov 2018

Ive done plenty of miles listening to the BBC audio Sherlock Holmes series with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams.  

Good to see a few Cabin Pressure fans.  Episodes are reserved for Bothy nights now... Enjoyable after a day in the snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...