Running shoes again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 02 Nov 2018

I generally run in Salomon crossmax,I am looking for a shoe that deals with rocky steep terrain a bit better but can still handle crazy descents and a bit of mud. The bastard offspring between a trail and approach shoe.

any recommendations?

wbo 02 Nov 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:you mean speedcross?

I have a pair of ultra 5 that do everything you want but are a less supportive, less cushioned shoe so everyday use will require perfect biomechanics

In reply to wbo:

I do indeed mean speedcross :-/

TMM 03 Nov 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Have you looked at the Salomon Sense Ride? Not as mud specific as the Speedcross. Currently my go to trail/approach shoe.

stuartf 03 Nov 2018

I've just started using a pair of innov8 x-claws after using speedcross for ages. They still seem grippy on mud and grass but because the lugs are much squarer they are less "wobbly" on rocks. I haven't had a chance to use them extensively on rocky stuff yet though, and they are a bit less cushioned. Might be worth a look, there were lots of deals around on them a few weeks ago.

SouthernSteve 03 Nov 2018
In reply to TMM:

> Have you looked at the Salomon Sense Ride? Not as mud specific as the Speedcross. Currently my go to trail/approach shoe.

I have just got these - a nicer run when firm than the speedcross which I really love for most things

bouldery bits 03 Nov 2018

Salomon Sense Pro for me.

I don't like too much cushion. These are bang on. Great for blocky Lakeland paths like Rhosett Gill. 

Edit: I have the sense Pro 2. The version 3 looks to have a more aggressive sole than the pro 2.

Post edited at 13:55
 daftdazza 03 Nov 2018

Speedcross are rubbish, good cushion on hard pack, but grip is terrible for wet and mud.  Maybe try something like more mile Cheviot for wet a mud as there cheap and have amazing grip, and get a separate more expensive shoe for rocky terrain. 

daftdazza 03 Nov 2018

Addidas terrex solo are good for rocky scrambling terrain, but care is required on the down if it's wet and muddy.

Cheers for the feedback, I may try out the Salomon  sense .Coed y brenin running let youvtry before you buy, like the fit of Salomon, the speedcross is great for my usual training routes which is a mix of trail, hardback and a few short road sections, looking to get into the mountains a bit more with a view to entering one of the sky races next year.

Post edited at 10:31
 steelbru 04 Nov 2018

Inov8 Trailtalon 290 and Hoka Speedgoat 2 are my favourite trail shoes at the moment

Tom Briggs 05 Nov 2018

Roclite 315s

blackcat 05 Nov 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:La sportiva bushido have been great for me,just not waterproof,so only use them in dry conditions but realy grippy on rocks.

Dark-Cloud 05 Nov 2018
In reply to daftdazza:

>  but grip is terrible for wet and mud. 

Not my experience at all. 

gooberman-hill 07 Nov 2018

Hoka speedgoats are excellent on rough trails. 

The Hoka Challenger Airs are the most comfortable running shoes I have ever owned, but the soles aren't up to serious terrain - they just fall apart.

I've previously taken a pair of Hokas and had LSR retrofit them with a fell sole. I've not done it with the Challenger Airs, but i see no reason why it wouldn't work.

The LSR fell sole is ridiculous. Once you get them back, wear them round town for a week or so to get the studs worn down to a reasonable level. Then they will be just perfect

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...