Gas Cooker/Worktop Height

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 02 Nov 2018

Seven years ago we had our kitchen refitted. It was designed and supplied by a well known company and we employed a fitter ON THEIR recommendation.

The cooker is a range cooker with electric ovens and a gas hob. Either side of the cooker are two worktops which butt right up to the edges of the cooker. The worktops, however, are about 15mm higher than the hob.

I've now been told by a chap in the local branch of the company that designed and supplied that the hob and the worktop should both be at the same level. Does anyone know if this is correct? Raising the cooker on to a plinth of some sort might be nigh on impossible as it weighs a ton

Oceanrower 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

If it's been like that for 7 years and hasn't bothered you yet, what's the problem?

Removed User 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

> If it's been like that for 7 years and hasn't bothered you yet, what's the problem?

I know what you're saying but I didn't know if it contravened anything like building regs.

Personally I'm happy to leave it as it is.

Neil Williams 02 Nov 2018

Even if it does contravene building regs, who on earth (from the land of officialdom) is going to know it is the case in order to carry out any form of enforcement?

FWIW when I fitted mine (electric cooker) I ensured they were aligned (by putting the cooker in first then adjusting the cabinet legs to match), but that's because I'm picky.  If 7 years on there has been no issue, as others say who cares?

If it posed a fire risk it'd have gone up by now.

FWIW if you are bothered you may find the cooker has adjustable legs to alter its height.

Post edited at 14:56
 Ridge 02 Nov 2018

As per the previous post, there should be 15mm of adjustment available if it's an issue. (If it's a rangemaster the adjusters should all be accessible from the front).

Fruitbat 02 Nov 2018

As per everybody else, I wouldn't worry about it. If I had to choose between the cooker being lower or higher than the worktops then I'd go for lower, purely as I think higher would look odd and spoil the line of the surfaces, whereas lower would not be too noticeable. I assume the worktops have metal endcaps or similar fitted?

Out of curiosity, how did the guy see it, was he round to look at doing more work for you?

Removed User 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

>  I assume the worktops have metal endcaps or similar fitted?

Similar to this but more rigid. Not metal. http://blog.decorati.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/foto04_borda.jpg

> Out of curiosity, how did the guy see it, was he round to look at doing more work for you?

No, I was less than happy with his performance. Disappearing mid job, didn't finish on time...

marsbar 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserMrs. Num Num:

It seems Mrs num num and Mr Boing boing are num ing and boing ing together.  

Removed User 02 Nov 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Yeahhh, loverly

Philip 02 Nov 2018

Nothing in building regs. You're free to have your cooker like that.

We have my wife's crumble station on one side of our range cooker, this is a custom unit with a worktop height perfect for my (short) wife to stand and run flour and butter into crumble topping. Only the other side has a flush worktop.

Chris Ebbutt 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserMrs. Num Num:

Gas cooker jobs must have 50 mm ? ( can’t remember exactly) gap or fire proof protection to flammable surfaces horizontally. Normally this means aluminium end caps on the worktop either side of a cooler job. If the cooker is very low you could be beneath the metal end caps. As above most cookers have adjustable legs but as above who will enforce.

chris

Powderpuff 02 Nov 2018

That's correct, range cookers should be fitted flush with the worktops or set slightly higher. I would never think of having the cooker set lower than the worktops.

The cooker should be fitted according to the manufacturers instructions, I would recommend sending the range cooker people pictures of the fitted cooker if you want to know how this all stands from a safety perspective.

Best of luck

Snyggapa 02 Nov 2018

Making a cooker higger can always be done by putting something underneath it, if the cooker doesn't have a built in hight adjustment. As noted before, some do that you just remove the bottom decorative panel n wind them up or down.

Making them lower when they are not designed to adjust is a bigger challenge..

Sir Chasm 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed Usermypyrex:

Seven years? Has it only just started itching?

wintertree 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

> Gas cooker jobs must have 50 mm ? ( can’t remember exactly) gap

Which, by the way, creates an almsot impossible to clean area of floor for spilled food to fester into lethal biohazards...

Lusk 02 Nov 2018
In reply to Philip:

> Nothing in building regs. You're free to have your cooker like that.

I doubt that building regs would go down to that fine a detail.
There may well be something within GasSafe regs on this subject though.

gethin_allen 03 Nov 2018

The only issue I can see occuring with your setup is that a lage pan on the hob could overhang or contact the worktops and result in either heat damage or worse catch fire.

There's bound to be some way of raising the cooker if needed.

Philip 03 Nov 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> I doubt that building regs would go down to that fine a detail.

> There may well be something within GasSafe regs on this subject though.

There are no Gas Safe regs. Gas Safe is the body that registers those people competent to install to building regulations. So back to my original point, which is there isn't anything in building regs specific to gas hobs. There is something (can't find a link) about clearance above and the hob does have to be installed as per the instructions.

What seems more unusual is that the worktops either side butt up to the appliance which appears a no no for most devices. That could be old info, maybe manufacturers now make them so they don't need clearance. Apparently Rangemaster only require 2mm.

LastBoyScout 03 Nov 2018

Cut a piece of Contiboard to fill in the gap - useful extra worktop when not using the cooker?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...