REVIEW: Scarpa Mescalito Approach Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 30 Oct 2018
A sturdy shoe that should last a good long timeA robust and comfy shoe, the Mescalito should see you right for years of hillwalks, scrambles and crag approaches, says Martin McKenna

Read more
 Fredt 30 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

No reference to the original sadly missed Mescalito, still the best approach boot ever. 

The new one looks very like the original, but does it compare?

In reply to Fredt:

I'm not convinced Martin's even old enough to remember the original. As I've never used it either, we couldn't really comment. I'm pretty sure that all it shares is a name

Fredt 30 Oct 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> I'm not convinced Martin's even old enough to remember the original. As I've never used it either, we couldn't really comment. I'm pretty sure that all it shares is a name

Well, as I still use mine, albeit sparingly, I'm up for a comparison test!

Pedro50 30 Oct 2018

I have a pair of these for sale, brand new boxed. Size 45 (10.5) I won them in the UKC competition but they are not quite my thing. 

Price £75 posted of which £15 will to donated to mountain rescue. 

Pkrynicki1984 30 Oct 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

Interested 

Hillseeker 30 Oct 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

I’m interested too. If a deal with Pkrynicki1984 falls through then give me a shout.

Post edited at 20:07
 kaiser 30 Oct 2018

£160 is too much money for what sounds like a bit of a "jack of all trades"

If it's dry then Tennies are better and if it's wet then boots are better

emilyeadie 30 Oct 2018

great review, loved every moment of it

Fruitbat 30 Oct 2018
In reply to Fredt:

> No reference to the original sadly missed Mescalito, still the best approach boot ever. 

> The new one looks very like the original, but does it compare?

The original Mescalito was actually the 'El Cap' which had a very low-profile sole, really suited for climbing as well as scrambling (IIRC it was designed as a big-wall boot, hence the name). A few years later, Scarpa changed the sole to a more beefed-up rigid version and called this the Mescalito. The Mk1 Mescalito wasn't as suited to rock climbing as the El Cap but neither was it as robust and as suited to a wide range of ground as this new version seems to be.

jascott83 01 Nov 2018

Joining in on the selling of (the new style) Mescalito - I've got some 41's for sale, only used three times. One scramble a couple of walks. Wish I'd won that UKC comp!

No denying they're a great shoe - I was impressed and they did a great job on the scramble but my feet don't seem to like scarpa's which is upsetting. I was hoping to use them for the cuillin next year. Reply or send me an email and I'll get an advert up this weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...