Lairig Ghru trip advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nel52 28 Oct 2018

Hi all,

I'm planning to try the Lairig Ghru in about a weeks time. My thoughts are to start from Braemar to avoid the worst of the wind and camp/shelter at Corrour, so should only be walking by daylight.

Looks like there's plenty if snow going down just now but probably a bit milder next week. Was wondering what people's thoughts were on whether crampons and axe would be needed if i stick to the main route? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Niall

Tony the Blade 28 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

Hi Neil,

Flat Eric and I walked this route in winter a few years ago. The path was mainly snow covered and there was no real reason for crampons. However I slipped on a sheet of ice and knackered my knee for weeks.

Andy Johnson 28 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

I'd take crampons. Can't see why you'd need an ice axe as it never gets particularly steep. A couple of walking poles would be much more more useful than an axe in my opinion.

Post edited at 11:21
 Tyler 28 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

No tips I'm afraid but I watched a program on BBC iPlayer called Adventure I think (presented by Duncan Mcallum) which heavily featured the Lairig Ghru race, if you've not been there before you might glean something from this. It was only a couple of days ago so should still be available 

Post edited at 11:38
 Andy Johnson 28 Oct 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Also, while I've never done it in winter, it's a fairly straightforward walk navigationally. IMO the main things to be aware of are (a) the middle part is obviously remote and has few/no options for bailing that don't also involve gaining significant height; (b) choose a day when the wind isn't blowing north/south; (c) crossing the boulder fields near (from memory) the Pools of Dee can be time-consuming - more so I imagine if they are snow-covered. Start early!

Post edited at 12:59
Removed User 28 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

It's already winter in the Cairngorms. The high point is over 2500 feet up which the wind funnels through at pace. Although the boulder field at the Pools of Dee has a discernible path through it if its covered in fresh it can very slow going. I'd go with a walking pole and microspikes. 

OMR 28 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

Not much call for an ice axe - as someone said above, walking poles would be more use. If there's a lot of snow the going can be very laborious but the current snow is very early and may well have gone completely. Ice can be a problem over stretches of the path though, so while taking crampons on and off is a faff, microspikes may be suitable. Either that or just ca' canny on the icy bits if there are any. If you're staying at Corrour, take a wee sup coal and a firelighter, or a couple of firelogs. Well worth the wee bit extra weight for some evening cheer.

Welsh Kate 28 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Walking poles and microspikes are a good suggestion, I use this combo regularly for winter walking when I know I won't encounter steep ground. Microspikes are way easier to walk in than crampons and easier to take on and off, plus manage better than crampons on short sections without snow / ice.

OwenM 28 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

The snow is very high, maybe 700m upward, it's going to turn mild mid-week. I wouldn't worry to much.

nel52 28 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

Thanks for the advice, all. Wee bit of coal for the bothy is a must. Sounds like microspikes might be all i'll need, if it all.

steelbru 29 Oct 2018
In reply to nel52:

I didn't really understand your bit about the wind "My thoughts are to start from Braemar to avoid the worst of the wind" - the forecasted wind for next Sat/Sun/Mon is from the west, so you'll be walking into a headwind from Braemar (Linn of Dee) along to Corrour.

You don't say what your actual destination is - are you walking through to Aviemore and getting transported back around to Braemar/Linn of Dee ? Or just going up to the head of the pass, and back again ?

nel52 29 Oct 2018
In reply to steelbru:

The choice of direction was purely based on the average wind direction for this time of year.

Plan A is stay in Aviemore the night before and drive to Braemar in the morning. Walking to Aviemore over the two days.

Plan B is to drop a car at Braemar the night before and walk from Aviemore to Braemar over the two days then drive back to Aviemore (would rather avoid this).

We'll make a call later this week once the forecast is a bit tighter. Cheers for the heads up.

In reply to subtle:

I plan to be a little more prepared than that lot appeared to be!

Cheers.

In reply to nel52:

If you're doing it over two days then you could make it a circular route that avoids faffing about with transport: south through the Lairig Ghru, then back north through the Lairig an Laoigh. Along the lines of this article:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/the_big_routes_the_lair...

It's a real classic. Fitness/speed depending, it's very do-able over two long-ish days. There may be some walking in the dark at this time of year, but as it goes through the glens on largely very clear paths the navigation is not an issue. River crossings can be, though

Rick Graham 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I have done the double both ways and the only major river crossing is the Ford's of An near the emergency refuge. Doing the route clockwise would mean this crossing is about 25% into the full route and give easier opt out options if the river is too high.

Also the route finding over the shoulder of bynack more would be easier in this direction especially if the track was snow covered.

In reply to Rick Graham:

Good thought Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...