trangia cooking pans issue ....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyE9 27 Oct 2018

hi all 

We have been going through some of our camping cooking stuff , and thought we would give everything a test and a clean , .. 

Well when we started to clean the pans , which are of silver aluminium construction (made in sweden) I noticed that the washing up water was turning a metallic grey , on further investigation when washing these pans with a cloth , or green pad turns the water alu silver ..  

now im not sure if this is normal , but what I would like to know are they safe to cook with ?  

cheers maybe a bit of a stupid question , but I havnt noticed this before 

abcdef 27 Oct 2018
In reply to AndyE9:

just standard alu rather than non-stick? and old rather than brand new? if so they should oxidise and not release anything in my experience.

OP AndyE9 27 Oct 2018
In reply to abcdef:

standard , they were new once, not been used much ..  tho they have been stored in the cupboard for about 3 years . .  

Pedro50 27 Oct 2018
In reply to AndyE9:

I have never liked aluminium for cooking pans, either for home or camping use. There was a health scare about it years ago (Alzheimers I think) but it may have been debunked. 

It does wear away as you scour it, or stir it. My mother used to give our giant pot an annual clean by stewing rhubarb in it. Presumably we ate the cleanings. 

Stainless steel at home, non-stick titanium for back packing. 

Removed User 27 Oct 2018
In reply to AndyE9:

Sounds like the pans have corroded. Give them a good scrub and they should stop turning the water a funny colour. After that they'll be ok.

OP AndyE9 27 Oct 2018
In reply to AndyE9:

The pans looked in new as new condition , the wife has washed them well , just hoping its done the job ..  im sure they wasn't cheap ..  

In reply to AndyE9:

Depends what the 'green pad' was. If it was significantly abrasive, then it is likely to abrade the aluminium surface.

Trangia pans are actually pretty cheap.

BrendanO 27 Oct 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yeah, my (old skool plain alu) Trangia pans can make grey lather when scrubbed. I hope that cooking doesnt pull as much material off as heavy scrubbing...and as I am not eating a large proportion of my food from these, I hope it will be fine.

That might be a terrible attitude; just sharing my experience.

Neil Williams 27 Oct 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

I've stopped using ally water bottles on a day to day basis as they seemed to be giving me headaches.  Switched to stainless steel and they stopped.  But that was drinking from one all day every day - I don't use my Trangia daily and so that's to me much less of a concern.

In reply to Pedro50:

Yes, the Alzheimer's myth has been debunked. See Myth 4 in the link:
https://alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers/myths

OP AndyE9 28 Oct 2018
In reply to AndyE9:

yeah , it was a while ago when I bought them , I doubt I will be using them loads , but I think that I will keep a watch out for some SS ones , now weight and transport isn't as big a deal .. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...