Running head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 21 Oct 2018

I am finding that my current head torch bounces down my forehead when I run, so looking for suggestions for a new one.

I want it to be USB chargeable. It doesn't matter if it takes normal batteries too or not as I don't run for that long.

I need a slim body to the light as I think it's the amount my current one protrudes that is the problem.

It needs to have a really bright mode as I run canicross in the woods at night, so seeing foot placements is important. A dimmer mode for in car parks etc would be nice, but not essential. 

Budget not huge.

mbh 21 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've had that problem.

This one, or a similar one with a strap over the head might do:

https://www.mad4tools.com/led-lenser-h8r-rechargeable-head-torch-600-lumens...

I've got a similar rechargeable Lenser model, and it has been very good.

OP girlymonkey 21 Oct 2018
In reply to mbh:

My current one that bounces off my head is a LED lensor. I really like it as long as I'm not running! I would be concerned that this one as as bulky as my current one. I might see if I can find one locally to try on.

mbh 21 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Oh. Mine is not so bulky at the front but has the batteries at the back, where they don't get in the way.

The other one I mostly use is one of the cheaper Petzls, with just one bulb and three modes. It has a big squashy button and doesn't slip, unlike another Petzl I've got which does. The difference is only that I can sufficiently tighten the strap of that one but not of the other. Anyway, it may not be bright enough for you.

shuffle 21 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Does it still bounce if you wear a buff and sit the torch straps on the fabric? My torch isn't very comfy on its own, but fine with a buff under it.

PPP 21 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

It might be unpopular opinion, but have you considered getting rechargeable AAA batteries? Something like Panasonic Eneloop or IKEA/Amazon ones that are allegedly the same as Panasonic ones. Two sets of batteries+charger can be purchased for £20 or so and will give you plenty of charges. 

Saying that, I have ordered Petzl Actik Core today! I wasn’t happy with Alpkit Viper, although it didn’t bounce even when avoiding the bogs. Just didn’t like the quality/brightness. I am happy with AAA batteries for single day trips, but being able to charge the headtorch via USB sounds easier and the battery pack can be charged in hostels, car, etc. 

More-On 22 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Another vote for the petzl actik core.

Stays put and has a good beam - a sensible mix of flood and spot. One button and a simple sequence from dim to bright.

I use it for everything from running to camping to mountaineering. With a spare core battery and some disposable you are set for anything. 

OP girlymonkey 22 Oct 2018
In reply to mbh:

> Oh. Mine is not so bulky at the front but has the batteries at the back, where they don't get in the way.

I will have a look at that one then, maybe that is the answer, to find one with battery at the back.

In reply to shuffle:

No, it's fine with a buff, but I sometimes find it's too hot to run with a buff on.

In reply to PPP:

I'm not that keen on getting another charger and more rechargeable batteries. I already have USB cables, if rather use them.

I will look at the Petzl Actik core, thanks 

climb41 22 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I’ve used a Silverpoint RC310 for a few years. The battery is at the back, so balances out nicely. Never had any movement issues with it. Several modes of light, including a diffuser if you want. 

I had an issue a little while ago when it wouldn’t recharge, but top marks for their customer service. They just wanted a couple of photos of the unit, then sent out a replacement straight away, in time for my race that weekend.  

In reply to climb41:

Thanks, I will look it up 

mp3ferret 22 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

i use one of these:  https://www.alpkit.com/products/qark-1

red light on the back ( for bits on the road).  Battery at back so a bit balanced.  Hasn't fallen off yet.

matt_chan 22 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I prefer to run with a hand-held torch as I find it gives me better depth perception on rough ground. Try holding your head torch instead of wearing it and see how you get on - if you like it then buy a proper hand-held.

StuDoig 22 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've a petzl Tikka RXP (predecessor to the current reActic) and it's been a cracking torch for running with battery is in the torch unit so front heavy but I've never had any problem with it being unstable or slipping.  It's certainly bright enough for running in the woods with my mutts and in reactive mode dims nicely in lit up car parks etc.  Only annoyance with the reactive mode is if you've got reflective jackets on the dogs as it'll trick the torch into dimming.  

The Actic doesn't have a reactive mode though so not a problem!

Cheers,

Stu

nacnud 22 Oct 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've a Petzl Reactik, it's great. USB rechargeable with built in batteries, no need to faff about with AAA or opening up the torch to charge. It changes beam width and strength depending on how much light is bouncing back at it. Look up along the trail, it goes in to spotlight mode and you can pick out where to go up to 100m ahead, look down at your feet and if goes into floodlight mode so you can pick your way through the mud and puddles. You don't need to think about it, it just works. 

Not cheap but if you run in the dark a lot it is worth it. Had mine four years or more and use it a couple of nights a week in the winter and it's not batted an eyelid. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...