Silva Head Torch advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 21 Oct 2018

I'm thinking about buying a Silva Trail Runner 3 USB Head torch, has anyone got one? If so are you impressed / would you recommend it? I'm particularly keen on being able to keep the battery pack inside my clothing as I'm going to be working in cold temperatures and 24 hour darkness over the next few months.

HeMa 21 Oct 2018
In reply to Sl@te Head:

No particular experience on said lamp...
But Silva has been making heaslamps for well over 40 years, and has been well regarded in orienteering... so based on that, it prolly is a good option.

BTW. where are you going if you say 24h darkness? Above the artic circle? Because it really isn't that gloom (or dark)... more like a constant late dusk all the time. Sure, you'll need a head lamp for precise work and so on, but mostly you can operate without one (especially so, if you work where there is snow on the ground).

OP Sl@te Head 21 Oct 2018
In reply to HeMa:

I'm about 250km North of the Arctic Circle working as a husky sledding guide. I've spent a reasonably significant amount of time North of the Arctic Circle in the winter over the last 16 years or so, so I know what that winter twilight's like

I already have a selection of headtorches with me including a Silva Trail Runner 3, but need to sort a rechargeable option. I've worked out that it may be more expensive to buy a Silva USB battery pack than to buy a complete new USB head torch (so I would end up with 2 battery packs one taking AAA and the other rechargeable).

In reply to Sl@te Head:

Hey, my bro works for Silva so I have a small selection of their torches! I think they're decent. Good light spray and even on my battery ones the life is good. Rechargeable options are really good. Gives you many options if you can get hold of multiple batteries!

nniff 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Sl@te Head:

It was good while it worked, but has currently got something wrong with the wiring.  It has a two year guarantee, which would be fine if I had the receipt/proof of purchase upon which they insist.  As it stands, I have a little-used torch which switches itself off whenever it feels like it.  

In reply to nniff:

Contact Silva directly, they're pretty decent about things like that. If not what shop did you get it from?? Or if online did you have to sign in bla bla.

nniff 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Wading through all that - it was a present and emails long since deleted.  I think we have worked out which shop it was - not one of the usuals, just to make it more difficult though

In reply to nniff:

Urgh, naff. Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...