50th Munro.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 13 Oct 2018

Munro number 50 not to far off, so im looking for suggestions for something special. Great views, nice walk in and memorable. As this will be my 50th looking for something a cut above the usual but obviously not to special as i still have to save some of the realy good ones for 100th 150th 200th 250th and my final one. On 39 now so by the time i hit 50 chances are the snow will be here, which in itself is no problem  ( did Aonach Eagach) earlier this year if full on winter conditions), but it may influence peoples choice as a layer of snow could make all the diffrence to the view from the top.

In reply to Russell Lovett:

Plenty of fine options- you needn’t worry about running out of choices for other milestones !

Torridon? Beinn Eighe via coire mhic fhearchair would tick the boxes 

or ladhar bheinn from kinloch hourn, with an overnight stay at barisdale 

Post edited at 10:37
Iggy_B 13 Oct 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Second vote for Ladhar Bheinn, you can also do the other two Knoydart Munros the day before or after and stay in the village. If you get the views you can see Skye and Rum.

Pero 13 Oct 2018

My advice is to take them as they come.  Go where the weather looks best.  There's no point deciding that Ladhar Bheinn must be your 50th, and then sitting out the winter because you can't get to Knoydart. 

If you're only on 39 it seems very early to be worrying about what will be your 250th. 

In addition, there's no rule (except a self imposed one) that says you can't climb the best hills umpteen times by the time you've finished them all.  If you think Ladhar Bheinn is a great hill, why do it only once?  Or, the Aonach Eagach for that matter.  Once is not enough.

steelbru 13 Oct 2018

Ben Starav is one of my favourites, with great views down Loch Etive. If it's a nice day you can continue on round to do another one or two, or just hrad back down again. It's also fairly easily accessible to much of Scotland, but depends where you are based.

If doing it in depth of winter with low lying snow then maybe not so feasible, as the Glen Etive road not cleared by the snowploughs, so you'd be looking for something at the side of one of the main roads.

Siward 13 Oct 2018

Beinn Dearg group up near Ullapool, superb, or Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan the unpronounceable, again superb. Both will allow more than one Munro too to satisfy the greedy bagger  

McHeath 13 Oct 2018

Ben Lui?

Welsh Kate 13 Oct 2018
In reply to McHeath:

Just realised that Ben Lui is probably the only Munro that can be rendered into Roman numerals, so it's going to have to be my 56th! Ben LVI!!

:-D

skog 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Haha, be sure to stop at LIX toll on the way.

Dave Hewitt 13 Oct 2018
In reply to skog:

> Haha, be sure to stop at LIX toll on the way.

Ha, beat me to it - I was just about to mention that there was an ancient Angry Corrie quiz question concerning Mid Lix being possibly the only place in Scotland that could be written as Roman numerals, although it doesn't make much sense numerically - it's arguably 1558 at a pinch. (Hope you're keeping well in this soggy weather, skog.)

Also, Pero makes two very good points upthread. One of the great merits of the Munro game, especially when one is in the early stages as with the OP, is that there are almost always options in different parts of the Highlands and good weather can be chased accordingly. Pero mentions what is one of my hobbyhorses, too, in that I'd very much agree that Munros shouldn't be ignored once climbed - there are a lot of people who are very "linear" in their bagging but also more than tends to be realised who are "cumulative" and who happily revisit things, often repeatedly. I'm of the school that reckons a first ascent of a hill is good prep for future visits, and there's a lot to be said for gradually getting to know a hill from different directions and in different conditions rather than forever chasing off to peaks and pastures new.

colinakmc 13 Oct 2018

Almost any of the further-away Mamore summits....Binnien Mor is wonderful in the snow.  Or (once you’ve got another couple bagged) start in the dark and do the whole ridge, gives you 9 or 10 summits in a day to remember!

But as someone else has already suggested, just take them as they come and enjoy what you do. Anything in Glencoe will give you a better day than any number of Drumochter Munro’s, no matter how often you go back.

Post edited at 16:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...