Mountain Equipment Rupal jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 12 Oct 2018

Has anyone got this jacket? What do you think of it? Does it perform well in the worst of the UK mountain conditions especially in autumn and winter? 

https://www.climbers-shop.com/11053654/products/mountain-equipment-mens-rup...

Or can anyone suggest something better for climbing and mountaineering? up to £300.

Thanks

Post edited at 21:15
 PPP 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Have you seen this? 

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/montane-mens-endurance-pro-jacket-A111430...

Currently at £215. I managed to catch an additional 15% sale, so that ended up even cheaper. Replaced my ME Janak which failed after 8 months of very moderate use. Not sure how it performs yet! 

OP Alan M 13 Oct 2018
In reply to PPP:

Thanks, I will take a look at that.

The last full waterproof shell I purchased was 8 years ago which I'm replacing hence this thread.  Lots of choice out there but most of it doesn't feel like it will last 1 year never mind 8. Just not sure what to go for at the moment.

AdamStorm 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Hi Alan, 

I got one of these from the Blacks store for £189 a couple of weeks back. The store in Liverpool is relocating so they have a massive sale on, although there was only a handful of these left. 

My ME Lhotse was actually back with ME at the time, with the pit zips falling away, the chinguard stitching coming undone and seemed to be wetting out, all of this after only owning it for 10 months. And considering the summer we had, had probably only had under 10 days of usage in bad weather (all they done for me was fix the zip which was quite disappointing customer service in my opinion considering the length of time I have owned it and little usage)

As for the Rupal, I was out in it for 2 1/2 hours, low level walk in Snowdonia and it worked great. Top half was bone dry, bottom half was soaked as I was too lazy to get my waterproofs out with it only being a short walk. 

I can feel a difference between the rupal 80D and the Lhotse 80D/40D. I feel the Rupal is more suited to English weather, it feels more robust. 

OP Alan M 17 Oct 2018
In reply to AdamStorm:

Thanks, my mate raves about his Rupal also.  He thinks it is the best performing jacket he has owned.  

Think I need to go back to the shop with my normal mountain layers on and try one on again before I totally rule it out due to bad fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...