wet weather snowdonia recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crimpsoplenty 08 Oct 2018

Just looking for a bit of advice, heading to snowdonia on thursday until Saturday evening and the weather looks horrendous (gale force winds up to 100km/hr) the original plan was to do bristley ridge and the glyders and then spend a day doing some low grade multi-pitch at cwm idwal or tryfan.

Anyone got any advice for hikes that don't involve my potential death being blown off a ridge or sheltered ish climbs maybe a mod or a diff that could be done in the wet? Just keen to get out and about really any advice welcome  

angry pirate 08 Oct 2018
In reply to crimpsoplenty:

I don't know how sheltered it is but Ordinary Route on Idwal Slabs is a nice day out in big boots and mitts in the rain. Big gusts might make it much less fun mind!

spartacus 08 Oct 2018

Lockwoods chimney. Enough said. 

Sean Kelly 08 Oct 2018

Or gorge walk which should be fun in the wet! There is a good one at Dolgarrog near Llanwrst.

OP crimpsoplenty 08 Oct 2018
In reply to angry pirate:

Thanks this looks like exactly what I was looking for!

angry pirate 08 Oct 2018

No worries! I have a very old photo of me climbing it in torrential rain in big boots, mitts and full waterproofs. I don't think I've ever looked happier

elliott92 08 Oct 2018

snakes ladders and tunnels (what is left of it) 

oldie 09 Oct 2018

Another multipitch might be one of the easier routes on Tryfan East Face eg North Buttress Climb or possibly better Overlapping Rib Route (I think that's its current name) avoiding the yellow slab by the easiest line to its right. If main ridge of Tryfan is too windy you could descend the E face by North Gully then Little Gully near the bottom (this is a scrambling ascent in its own right) or the W face.
Shorter climbing could be the easier routes on the right side of Milestone Buttress or the easier slabby routes in the centre of Gribin Facet (Clogwyn y Tarw).

The Ordinary Route in Idwal is good and can become a bit of a stream in the rain. "Character forming" for both leader and second with water running down sleeves etc. Some people find the descent a little tricky if not familiar with Idwal Slabs.

cousin nick 09 Oct 2018

We've spent wet/windy days wandering the trails in Beddgelert Forest. An alternative is to walk the lakeside path from Llanberis to Brynrefail, then up through Fachwen and the woods above Padarn Country Park, finishing off in the slate quarries. Gwydyr Forest is also on my list to explore if we find ourselves in a similar situation.

N

profitofdoom 09 Oct 2018
In reply to cousin nick:

> We've spent wet/windy days wandering the trails in Beddgelert Forest. An alternative is to walk the lakeside path from Llanberis to Brynrefail, then up through Fachwen and the woods above Padarn Country Park, finishing off in the slate quarries. Gwydyr Forest is also on my list to explore if we find ourselves in a similar situation.

That looks like the best plan to me - stay low-level (in forest if possible) if the current forecast weather does happen. To be honest I personally would not try and walk or climb at Idwal in high winds and heavy rain, that's just me of course

ianstevens 09 Oct 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

> That looks like the best plan to me - stay low-level (in forest if possible) if the current forecast weather does happen. To be honest I personally would not try and walk or climb at Idwal in high winds and heavy rain, that's just me of course

Seconded, it always baffles me when people suggest doing an easy route in the pissing rain and wind is a great idea. Low level walks in the woods (presuming bits of tree aren't coming off) and general indoor touristy activities are the way to go (Slate Museum, Caernarfon Castle etc)- or the Beacon/Indy.

felt 09 Oct 2018

I'd be thinking of Portmeirion, Caernarfon/Conwy/Beaumaris/Harlech castles, Aber Falls area, Nant Gwynant woodland/upland lakes (Edno etc) saunter.

felt 09 Oct 2018

Bodnant Garden will be looking fabulous at this time of year too

Twiggy Diablo 09 Oct 2018

The crags near colwyn bay often seem to miss rainfall that falls in the park... bit of micro-climate.

profitofdoom 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

> The crags near colwyn bay often seem to miss rainfall that falls in the park... bit of micro-climate.

Good thinking, but maybe not with this forecast! I usually head for Gogarth when everywhere else is wet, but that may not work this time, even the Holyhead forecast is dire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...