winter sleeping bag recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ian dendy 01 Oct 2018

looking for some recommendations for a sleeping bag for winter wild camping in scotland that will pack down to reasonable size so that it doesn't take up half the rucksack space.  budget £150-£250

Guy Hurst 01 Oct 2018
In reply to ian dendy:

The Alpkit Skyehigh 700 or Rab Ascent 700 would both fit the bill. They might not provide quite enough insulation on the coldest nights, but you could always drape a down jacket over yourself and the bag. Also, use a good mat or mats — they make big difference. CCF mats provide great insulation for the cash, and are light and foolproof, if a bit bulky.

Ffat Boi 01 Oct 2018
In reply to ian dendy:

Have a look at the softie 10 harrier (snugpak) doesn't take up that much space and is below your budget!

Mine has been used in full winter conditions (iceland) and in Snowdonia, and it has kept me warm &toasty

Dave the Rave 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Ffat Boi:

That looks a good bag on paper. Why is it so good and recommended for Norway arctic training? It says the comfort is -7 and extreme -12. Is this considering snow hole use or a tent?

andyd1970 01 Oct 2018
In reply to ian dendy:

I’ve got a Mountain Equipment Arrora 2 which is great

andyd1970 01 Oct 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

I meant Aurora ????

TobyA 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I looked at that bag too, it's not apparent what rating Snugpak are using, I don't think it can be EN13537 which is now the norm. I have the impression that whilst Snugpak have sort of disappeared from the civilian outdoor market over the last couple of decades, they are a big provider to the MoD so I guess people in the military no the name. They aren't very expensive for the warmth, but that one that got mentioned above is literally twice the weight of a down bag I have that is a little bit warmer than their claimed warmth.

afx22 01 Oct 2018
In reply to ian dendy:

I have both an Alpkit Skyhigh 700 and a Rab Ascent 900.

I tend to feel the cold and fine Alpkit quite poor.  I use it for summer down to about 5 degrees Celsius.  The Rab has been excellent.  I was comfortable for three nights in Aviemore last winter, including apparently the coldest night for two years - minus 13 or 14.  It’s bulky though.

Ffat Boi 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

The -7 to -12 range is spot on! The sleeping bag is comfy at those ranges, and usable for snow hole and tent. Quick drying when wet.

Considering the price, it''s a excellent sleeping bag.

Ffat Boi 02 Oct 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Down is lighter yes, but also more expensive. Unfortunately I can't afford Down.

And I like a sleeping bag that can handle getting wet.

Phil1919 02 Oct 2018
In reply to ian dendy:

Don't get one that is too warm. Back it up by having a good liner, underwear, sleeping mat, warm food and drink, an ability to keep bag dry, good clothes to put on morning evening etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...