REVIEW: Macpac Sololight 1-Person Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 28 Sep 2018
Quick to pitch and takes up minimal room - great for a discrete wild camp, 3 kbIt might not be spacious, but this tent packs a performance punch for its minimal weight. What works in New Zealand also seems well suited to the British uplands, says Toby Archer

Read more
 Flinticus 28 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

How do the large side panels stand up to wind?

jezb1 28 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I must admit, I've not used the tent in this review, but I've used a number of similar designed tents from various brands at all kinds of prices and suggesting this is a 3-4 season tent is pushing it a bit surely?

Snow on the ground doesn't make it winter in terms of tent reviews in my mind. A 3-4 season tent would be more like a Terra Nova Voyager surely.

These lightweight tents are flipping ace, but they have their limitations.

Post edited at 15:38
 TobyA 28 Sep 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I've always pitched it end into the wind and not had any problems, but even with wind shear, I've not noticed any issues once its pegged out well. Of course it will flex and get buffeted about, but it seems pretty solid. Because it is a small tent, those side panels are actually that big, and its shape is pretty aero both across and end on.

Did you watch the video? That was a windy day, you can get an impression from the heather moving and sun coming in an out despite it obviously being sped up. You do see the tent flex, but it's not much. It's really well cut so pitches drum-tight.

I should add though I'm a bit of a tent-pitching perfectionist. I find it very hard not to judge people for sloppily pitched tents and have to remind myself that a loose guylines and saggy fly sheets doesn't necessarily reveal a poor moral character, although I have my suspicions.

TobyA 28 Sep 2018
In reply to jezb1:

Well I've used it in a winter blizzard (the pictures in the review and in the video are at about 600 mtrs on an open hillside on Kinder - it snowed through that night and it just slid off the tent. Yes, if you were out in storm that put down 30 or 40 cms of snow, it would start compressing in on the tent but with I imagine 5-10 cms of snow coming down on the tent there was no problem at all (although there was a strong wind, which both helps and hinders in terms of the tent taking a snow load). But there is no flat area on the top for snow to start building up on that you do get with geodesic and semi geodesic designs.

It's not a big tent though, living in it for numerous nights in winter conditions (be that in snow and freezing temperatures, or British soggy-cold conditions) would get old soon. Nevertheless, I'm quite happy using it in British winter conditions within reason for a night or two.

Post edited at 18:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...