Corrour vandalism

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Thankfully , this is only a small minority, but it can spoil it for so many others visiting these wonderful refuges. I was gobsmacked when visiting the Loch a'Bhroin bothy to find the toilet still being used by thoughtless individuals when there was no water for flushing, I imagine because of the drought earlier this summer. All it required is a small trowel and a short walk, and some common sense. Grrr!

pasbury 25 Sep 2018

Bothies definitely worked better without publication didn’t they?

DaveHK 25 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> Bothies definitely worked better without publication didn’t they?

There were always incidents of bothy vandalism.

OMR 25 Sep 2018

A lot of red faces if all the guilty parties were named. I don't know who was dancing on the toilet seat, but it was a well-dressed and very respectable middle-aged hiker who went to walk away from Corrour leaving an empty sardine can under her seat; it was a proper winter climber who did a shit in the Bob Scott's toilet despite it being visibly blocked... even, to be shamefacedly honest, a seasoned bothier, walker and blogger (me) who failed to chase after a plastic cup blown away in the wind. The vandals and litterers aren't some separate breed: they're us and among us.

Bellie 26 Sep 2018
In reply to OMR:

The very nice Germans who cooked and enjoyed an evening in Corrour with us were good company and not in anyway the yobbo.  And yet after they had departed early the following day - we found huge plastic bags left in the porch full of leftover food and rubbish from their feast the previous evening. (dutifully carried out by us btw)

Rigid Raider 26 Sep 2018

I remember seeing that some idiots had sawn out part of the roof timbers at Suadarlan bothy and burned them. How did they think the roof would not collapse?

If bothy users lack the education needed to use the places, isn't it time for the MBA to publish the users' code of conduct in the form of a large notice (not wood) on the wall of every bothy? The fact that the tent found abandoned was a Gelert, the type of budget tent sold for £25 by supermarkets for festivals then just left behind, tells me there are people using the places who have no understanding of the lore of the outdoors.

Post edited at 14:29
OP Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Bellie:

As far as I know, mountain shelters in Germany are either the staffed/serviced type or emergency-only huts, with nothing comparable to bothies. So I'd be inclined to be charitable and put this down to ignorance rather than selfishness.

I've spoken to visitors, including a German guy last year on Skye, who've expressed real astonishment about the way that bothies work. There's the (certainly apocryphal) story of the group of French walkers who decided to overnight at Fords of Avon, and to save weight took only waterproofs plus money to get at bed and meal at the refuge...

OP Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I'm sure I've seen such notices in many bothies. The one shown at http://www.matildabrownmusic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_0088-683x... looks familiar, and includes "please take out all rubbish which you can't burn." Some people just don't bother reading such things or think that rules don't apply to them.

I don't think its anything new - I remember lots of trash and bottles at Shenavail twenty years ago - but I wonder if the scale of the problem is increasing. Social media can act as an amplifier for these things. Unique free party venues.

Post edited at 14:45
 Dauphin 26 Sep 2018

Normally train bound NEDs with several slabs of special brew and pockets filled with druqz - source been a reluctant traveller on several west coast NED Bothy Express.  Rarely any bothies that you have to do any significant walking/skkiing do get trashed, increased footfall by our euro cousins with no knowledge that the place has no guardian is also becoming an issue. 

D

Rigid Raider 26 Sep 2018

In all the years I've been using bothies I have met so many Germans that I think somebody there must have published a guide to British bothies back in the time when they were kept secret.

DaveHK 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> In all the years I've been using bothies I have met so many Germans that I think somebody there must have published a guide to British bothies back in the time when they were kept secret.

I was told that there is a popular German walking guide to Scotland which names a couple of specific bothies (can't remember which) and so they all head there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...