Rab photon X vs ME Fitzroy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Colin Dyer 25 Sep 2018

I’m looking for a new belay jacket for the coming winter season. Presently I have a Rab Photon (one of the old models). It’s been ok but I still get a bit cold in it.

I’m torn between the Rab Photon X and the ME Fitzroy jackets. 

Can anyone shed any light on how the two compare in practice? I note that the Photon is 100g heavier and has more primaloft in it compared to the Fitzroy but this is “Primaloft Gold active” as opposed to “Primaloft Gold”

As a foot note. I am soft. I get cold. Quite quickly.

Thanks in advance

leon 1 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Colin Dyer: I found the Photon x to be warmer and a better fit for me than my old Fitzroy if thats any help at all.

If however you are a size Large and want to be warm then I have a Berghaus Extrem 7000mtr Belay jacket for sale that you may be interested in.

Its a size L ( but sized to go over everything) Red, and whilst carried a fair bit has never been used other than going to the pub in Aviemore. No marks cuts or abrasions  Looks as new (I even still have all the tags for it )

Its massively warm, similar in warmth and pack size to a ME Citadel, has a huge helmet compatable hood

Full specs on here....

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/berghaus-mens-extrem-7000-belay-parka-A12...

https://outdoorsmagic.com/news/new-gear-berghaus-extrem-7000-belay-parka/

£95 incl recorded delivery

Post edited at 17:34
 jezb1 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Colin Dyer:

I'm also soft..! I found the Fitzroy a bit lacking in warmth for a proper winter belay jacket. I now use a Citadel and love it.

I've also used a Photon for a couple of days. It's a nice jacket and definitely warmer than the Fitzroy.

OP Colin Dyer 25 Sep 2018
In reply to leon 1:

I really love your eye for an opportunity to sell. Many thanks for the offer but I have geeked out to the point that it’s almost certainly a choice between the two jackets mentioned.

Jez, how do you find the weight and packed size of the citadel. Seems massive to me looking at the numbers. 

leon 1 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Colin Dyer:  Always worth a try

Good luck with the jackets but again Id personally go for the Photon over the Fitzroy as its slightly warmer and in my opinion a better design.

angry pirate 25 Sep 2018
In reply to leon 1:

Funnily enough I was going to recommend the same (though I'm not selling mine)

I had a photon which I preferred the fit of compared to the Fitzroy but always found it a bit chilly.

The Berghaus parka has loads of fill and is proper toasty. 

For winter hill walking, the photon was warm enough; for sitting on a winter stance I preferred the extra warmth of the Berghaus. Well worth the extra pack size and weight for my old bones!

Back to your actual question: the Rab one felt a better cut for me and had a superb hood. I'd buy one again given the choice of the two.

jezb1 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Colin Dyer:

The Citadel is a bit of a beast, but for me it's absolutely worth it. I really do feel the cold and although I'm usually all about light is right etc., the Citadel is always in my winter pack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...