REVIEW: Thermacell MR300 Insect Repeller

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 25 Sep 2018
Each mat lasts up to 4 hours, 4 kbThermacell devices create an insect repellent zone that's said to deter small flying insects. But do they work on Scottish midges? Dan Bailey really enjoyed finding out

Read more
 Ben_Climber 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I can't believe he has left the car door open in that second picture!

Must have taken a few days to get them all out. Little bastards.

HeMa 25 Sep 2018

I've used the Thermacell for around 4 or 5 years now in Finland.

Works really well, on damp & sheltered crag bases to protect the belayer from mossies and small amounts of midges. Don't have sandflies here, so can't say. Neither can I recall if they help with horseflies.

So they are quite nice for projecting sessions (be it boulder or roped stuff), in generally protected forests (ie. no wind). And naturally for say flyfishers (and hunters in a shooting booth), the latter being the ones I recall it was originally designed for (hunters & fishers).

flaneur 25 Sep 2018

I’d just like to thank Dan for volunteering to be the crash test dummy. 

Removed User 25 Sep 2018

Use the Thermacell in Northern Norway where it is available in pretty much every supermarket in the summer. Works well on still evenings and works very well against horse flies too.

pasbury 26 Sep 2018

Seems all the evidence points to the scottish midge being the most indomitable bastard of the whole class insecta.

deepsoup 26 Sep 2018

"At £30, plus the running cost, it's not wildly expensive."

I see it's essentially the same insecticide as a mosquito coil.

£30 plus proprietary refills is a lot more expensive than a mosquito coil holder at about 6 quid.  The added bonus of the ones that sandwich the coil between glass fibre nets is that you can burn it at both ends.  Or break it in half and burn it at 4 ends, or more if times are desperate.  The coils are cheap, leave no waste apart from a little ash, and come with no plastic packaging.  Also it's immediately obvious when they've run out - is that the case with the Thermocell refill thingy?

nufkin 27 Sep 2018
In reply to HeMa:

>  Neither can I recall if they help with horseflies

The wee bastards are impervious to anything short of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...