Welsh 3000’s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CNPalmer68 18 Sep 2018

Hi, a group of us are planning the Welsh 3000’s but one of the group doesn’t have the head for heights to do scrambles like Crib Goch. Are there many like that on the walk? He can avoid crib Goch by carrying on up the pyg trail and meeting us on snowdon but we’re not familiar with the remainder of the walk. Can he do the same on other aretes and remain with the rest of the group by skirting them and meeting at a later point? Thank you

GrahamD 18 Sep 2018
In reply to CNPalmer68:

The stretch between Crib Goch and Crib y Ddysgl is the only really scrambly section, but because both Crib Goch and Crib y Ddysgl are 3000ers its a long detour to still tick these summits and avoid the linking ridge between them.

Stichtplate 18 Sep 2018
In reply to CNPalmer68:

Both Tryfan and Crib Goch entail a bit of grade 1 scrambling to gain the summits. Nothing like the exposure of the Crib Goch traverse itself though.

In reply to Stichtplate:

There's not much exposed scrambling involved on Tryfan if going up the South Ridge and down the western descent path. 

The actual "Summit" of Crib Goch isn't at the junction of N & E ridges where it feels like the top, but halfway along the ridge traverse itself. 

GrahamD 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> The actual "Summit" of Crib Goch isn't at the junction of N & E ridges where it feels like the top, but halfway along the ridge traverse itself. 

I hadn't realised that ! its true, though.  About 100m along the ridge its 2m higher than the bit I thought was the summit.

benp1 19 Sep 2018
In reply to CNPalmer68:

When I did it a few months ago (N-S) I went up Bristly Ridge, which I found more scrambly than Tryfan. But apart from those bits it's just a big walk. 

I finished with the rest of the snowdon horseshoe, i was bushed at the end of it but it was a brilliant trip

GrahamD 19 Sep 2018
In reply to benp1:

> When I did it a few months ago (N-S) I went up Bristly Ridge, which I found more scrambly than Tryfan. But apart from those bits it's just a big walk. 

Bristly Ridge is purely optional, though.  There is a path to left zig zagging up the screes you can use.  Its much harder to bypass Crib Goch (especially as the summit is actually on the ridge of Crib Goch)

Pewtle 19 Sep 2018
In reply to CNPalmer68:

If you don't care about getting every single 3000'er, go up the pyg and down the llanberis pass, then its a short stroll to Nant Peris.  My mrs isn't too keen on scrambles, so we did that as a variation on the classic route once. 

Sean Kelly 20 Sep 2018
In reply to CNPalmer68:

Probably best to avoid the North Ridge of Tryfan as a descent, as route finding can be tricky in thick mist and sometimes not that obvious when clear, judging by the number of parties found scrambling above the Milestone Buttress. Carneddau should be no problem but there are exposed parts on east side of the ridge at times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...