Vallee Blanche Traverse - MAP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ChrisP 12 Sep 2018

Hi all, 

Does anyone have or know where I can find a detailed route map of the Vallee Blanche Traverse. Agrile du Midi to Helbronner or vice versa? 

Many thanks

In reply to ChrisP:

Check out the IGN topo of the Mont Blanc Massif, 1:25000 should be more than detailed enough. 

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Chamonix-Mont-Blanc-Massif-du-Mont-Blanc-IGN-363...

Also worth checking out the Swiss Map Mobile app, its really useful but obviously don't use it as your main method of navigation. 

Post edited at 09:42
 Mehmet Karatay 12 Sep 2018
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

Hi, 

You can look at IGN mapping online here: https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/ign_france_maps/france.shtml Just keep zooming in and you'll soon find the 1:25,000 mapping.

The route approximately follows the blue ski line marked on the IGN map, in the link above, from the Col Oriental de Toule to the Midi. The descent from the gondola station to the col is straightforward from memory. 

Bruce Goodlad's book 'Alpine Mountaineering' has a map showing the line of the traverse from the Pointe Helbronner station to the Aiguille de Midi on page 211. It also gives a detailed description of the routes and techniques needed. I'm sure there are loads of other suitable guides as well.

As already mentioned, make sure you have a paper map with you when you're actually there.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mehmet

a crap climber 12 Sep 2018
In reply to ChrisP:

www.geoportail.com is an excellent site to view IGN maps. Have a mess around with multiple layers and varying transparency. I can easily waste a fair bit of time on this site but i might just be a bit odd

Webster 13 Sep 2018
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

> Also worth checking out the Swiss Map Mobile app, its really useful but obviously don't use it as your main method of navigation. 

but you can print out and laminate maps from it for free! excellent resource.

In reply to Webster:

> but you can print out and laminate maps from it for free! excellent resource.

Forgot you could do this - think I always avoided it because my printer is rubbish and can sometimes be hard to get the detail clear enough. 

Still an excellent resource. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...