Re-share UKC top tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 05 Sep 2018

Here’s mine from last weekend’s backpacking trip.

Perfect backpacking lunch; tortillas and squeezy Tartex pate for lunch.  From a thread about backpacking food a few months ago.

My own top tip is to add a Yorkie bar for pudding.

Post edited at 22:56
 Philip 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Sausage roll. Perfect climbing lunch. If that doesn't fill you up, take 2. Malt loaf for snack.

Blue Straggler 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Leftover takeaway curry in a well buttered (for non-sogginess) flatbread wrap, as long as the leftover curry isn't too gungey/liquidy. Surprisingly lovely stone cold!

subtle 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Leftover takeaway curry in a well buttered (for non-sogginess) flatbread wrap, as long as the leftover curry isn't too gungey/liquidy. Surprisingly lovely stone cold!

Butter with curry - thats just wrong!

Leftover curry (or home made curry for this purpose), in plastic container, pack of wraps in bag, make into tasty wrap when on the hill - if windy can be done within bothy bag for comfort.

Curry could also be reheated on stove if carrying one.

Oh, and tie your bootlaces - not together, but make sure tied all the same.

Wingnut 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Leftover curried spuds are nice for lunch - don't need to be wrapped in anything, just put a spoon in the box.

(I got the recipe off someone I met on here - proof that you really can find anything on UKC!)

Kevster 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Olive bread, tastes nice and somehow the olives keep it moist and fresh for a couple of days.

Don't underestimate the value of a cool beer after a long route.

On long hot routes, a smaller frozen bottle of water is great, sometimes tied onto harness with cord, cheap, easy, reusable,  disposable if needed.

Maryland choc biscuits, even when crumbs and stale after months in the pack. Always welcome.

Its all about food, isn't it?

Jon Greengrass 06 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Butter with curry - thats just wrong!

Do you know what ghee is?

nniff 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Stroopwaffels -  sort of wafers with caramel.  Don't break, edible even when you're parched (Sainsbury's bakery section)

Lucho Delitos boccadillos - guava and coffee - good cycling shops.

Also my cycling foods of choice.

GrahamD 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

veggie oxos for backpacking.  Add to boiling water for lovely warming drink.  Use rest of the 'stock' to add to instant mash / rice / pasta for more tasty meal.

Chorizo.  A little goes a very long way with aforementioned mash/pasta/rice.

subtle 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Claude Greengrass:

> Do you know what ghee is?

gee, you gonna enlighten me then?

Clarence 06 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

If you butter him up maybe he will clarify...

Flinticus 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Remember which boots give you a blister and where. Put on a preventative compeed at the start of the walk.

If using a water bladder when camping, leave in the tent porch and have the drinking tube fed through the door zip (make sure the mouth piece is higher up than the bladder reservoir)

If you camp with a dog, pack a micro-fibre towel. Otherwise you'll find yourself with a damp sleeping bag.

wercat 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

when a long deserved rest you take,

while lying in your sleeping bag ,

make sure it's only wind you break ...

Dave the Rave 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Use your mates Nalgene bottle to piss in at night, not your own. Then just refill with water in the a.m. Gives him a bit of a ‘kick’ to his water and you a belly laugh every time he has a sip. Remember to flatly refuse a sip from him

luke glaister 06 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

You have become the butter the joke. 

GrahamD 06 Sep 2018
In reply to luke glaister:

You can't really spread that around after you've left him in the cold.

luke glaister 06 Sep 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Don't smother me. 

mrphilipoldham 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

Scotch eggs, two from Aldi for 75p.

Bobling 06 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

A few metres of duct tape wrapped round a credit card in the lid of your day sack.  Useful for all sorts of running repairs!

Philip 06 Sep 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Scotch eggs, two from Aldi for 75p.

Pervert

Blue Straggler 09 Sep 2018
In reply to Bobling:

Wouldn’t it be easier to simply flatten a standard reel, instead of faffing with wrapping around a credit card? Cardboard reel isn’t exactly heavy

Dr.S at work 09 Sep 2018

You used to be able to buy small sections on a flat piece of cardboard, not seen for any for ages though

Robert Durran 09 Sep 2018

> Wouldn’t it be easier to simply flatten a standard reel, instead of faffing with wrapping around a credit card?

I wrap mine round a short pencil which can be useful too.

Timmd 09 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

> Stroopwaffels -  sort of wafers with caramel.  Don't break, edible even when you're parched (Sainsbury's bakery section)

I always think Stroopwaffels sound gloriously Dutch, when I see a packet they remind me of my Dutch friend.  'Strooooop'  

Post edited at 14:03
 TobyA 09 Sep 2018
In reply to Bobling:

A few years ago I became a convert from any old duct tape to Gorilla Tape. Stickier, stronger, longer lasting. I have some wound around my hiking poles just below the handle - works as a bit of extra grip slightly lower on the pole in winter when you have snowy gloves on as well.

Isn't using your credit card a hassle when you need to buy something though or does the contactless work through the duct tape?

deepsoup 09 Sep 2018

The core at the middle of a roll of duct or gaffa tape is quite heavy duty, and you'd only be able to flatten it when the roll is nearly finished.  (After which, it would still be quite bulky.)

The gaffa tape in the little box of 'emergency repair' and first-aid gubbins that comes kayaking with me is wrapped around a bic lighter.

markalmack 09 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Don't buy hexes - they are shit!

In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks. I confused myself by recalling all the 75% spent rolls i've seen lying around looking flat after being stood on by accident. You are right about the bulk etc. 

Babika 09 Sep 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

I wrap spare duct tape around my Nalgene bottle.

And I don't piss in it, or my mates.

In reply to markalmack:

Maybe your hexes are cursed

DaveHK 09 Sep 2018
In reply to markalmack:

> Don't buy hexes - they are shit!

You're not a winter climber then.

Post edited at 22:08
Removed User 10 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

>  Stroopwaffels -  sort of wafers with caramel

Do they hold a candle to the mighty Tunnocks, though?

Bulls Crack 15 Sep 2018

> Wouldn’t it be easier to simply flatten a standard reel, instead of faffing with wrapping around a credit card? Cardboard reel isn’t exactly heavy

Cacks up contactless too.

nniff 15 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> >  Stroopwaffels -  sort of wafers with caramel

> Do they hold a candle to the mighty Tunnocks, though?

Good question, well presented!  Plain or milk chocolate?

In a hot sweaty pocket - stroopwaffels.  Anywhere else, plain choccy Tunnocks, although stroopwaffels do have more structural integrity

Root1 15 Sep 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Dead on your feet in a Cairngorm blizzard?

Christmas cake, makes you feel like Popeye after his spinach.

Baron Weasel 15 Sep 2018
In reply to markalmack:

> Don't buy hexes - they are shit!

I take it you've never had to bash a seagull! 

deepsoup 15 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> Do they hold a candle to the mighty Tunnocks, though?

I don't think you want to hold a candle to your Tunnocks mate, that's just going to get messy.

Removed User 15 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

>  Plain or milk chocolate?

What do you mean, 'or'?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Sep 2018
In reply to Bobling:

> A few metres of duct tape wrapped round a credit card in the lid of your day sack.  Useful for all sorts of running repairs!

I wrap mine round a 'Swiss Card' (one of those credit-card sized tool kits,

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...