Hound Tor Devon, Notice for commercial groups, schools

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phil456 03 Sep 2018

Hound Tor

I was at the car park for Hound Tor and saw this notice, posted for information to commercial groups and schools.

ROCK CLIMBING ON HOUNDTOR 

All school and commercial groups 

You MUST gain permission from the landowners before climbing on Houndtor. 

We must have your insurance details before you take groups climbing here. 

Overuse and erosion are becoming a problem and we may have to shut various routes to groups to combat this. 

Call Email 

01647 221254 greathoundtor@gmail.com 

If you haven't got permission to climb, you will not be insured and you will not be allowed to take groups climbing on Houndtor again. 

‘Normal' climbers (not school groups or commercial groups) are welcome as ever, on their own risk, to climb. 

Post edited at 19:58
 Luke90 03 Sep 2018
In reply to phil456:

Interesting.

Who actually owns Hound Tor? The internet suggests that it's managed by some combination of the National Park Authority and English Heritage but I don't know whether that relates to ownership.

Graeme Hammond 03 Sep 2018
In reply to phil456:

I was there yesterday afternoon for the first time, and didn't see any notices myself we parked near the left end of the carpark and walked straight in. I soloed most of the easy routes around the pulpit (where 1 small group had a couple of ropes but weren't in our way) none of which seemed remotely polished, and the ground around the crag didn't seem particularly warn with plenty of grass.  So if they are going to try to restrict commercial climbing activities some better/more obvious signs would be a start.

The crag is on open access land which means you as an individual have a right to climb under the CROW act so this should just be an issue for local groups and instructors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...