Tarf Hotel/Feith Uaine Bothy Damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just been reported that some sleeping platforms have been smashed up and burnt in the stove

The bothy has always had moveable platforms in all of the rooms for the enjoyment and comfort of our "guests"

As it`s now Stag shooting season on Atholl Estate we cannot get in to repair/replace them until mid October

As you probably know this bothy is very remote so the damage is likely to have come from members of the "hillwalking community"

It saddens me to report that this is not the only damage this year but we we will continue to look after the place

Ricky

Maintenance Organiser, Tarf,  Mountain Bothies Association

Bellie 01 Sep 2018
In reply to richard marshall:

It just beggars belief that some filth do things like that.  In your shoes I'd be raging.  As you rightly say - its not on the beaten path so you'd have to be into the walking thing to be there.  But lets face it - pricks can enjoy walking just the same.

Removed User 01 Sep 2018

Vandalism in more accessible bothies is fairly inevitable. Teenagers having a weekend away to get out of their faces on drink and drugs end up burning anything combustible that fits in the fire. Like you though, I'm dismayed that such a remote bothy could have been damaged in the same manner.

I wonder if some local neds managed to get vehicular access to the Hotel, same as happened to Backhill when it was burnt down 30 odd years ago.

Dave the Rave 01 Sep 2018

The cynic in me thinks that the local estate may have done it to discourage walkers in the stag season?

Kimberley 01 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Tarf Hotel could hardly be described as accessible, have you been there? There is no 'vehicular' access unlike Backhill....

Flinticus 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Could they not simply withdraw co-operation with the MBA and make it unavailable?

Mike-W-99 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Doubt it, it’s one of the more amiable estates with an up to date hillphone message on where they are shooting.

Billhook 09 Sep 2018

Its just not teenagers.  In the 80's I used to frequent a bothy on the NYM.  A group of bus drivers from 'Ull' arrived one night with a bin bag  full of beer cans and whiskey bottles which they consumed into the small hours. And left the empties in the morning/afternoo when they got themselves out of their pits..  

Some years later the bothy was burned to the ground following yet another visit by group of people who "loved staying" there, but obviously were dissatisfied with the lack of 'entertainment'.

Removed User 09 Sep 2018
In reply to Kimberley:

The last time I visited was 1986. The place was in such a state of decay only one room was useable and we thought it might blow down during the storm that night.

I note it's about two miles from an estate track.

OMR 09 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed User:

A huge amount of work, particularly in recent years and driven forward by the OP, Ricky, has completely transformed the bothy to a great condition - which is why any vandalism is so upsetting.

icehockeyhair 20 Sep 2018

Damn, hoping to make my first trip there soon.

Castleman 20 Sep 2018

How annoying for you Ricky.  Only stayed in Tarf Hotel once, in Feb 2014, during pretty awful conditions.  It was great albeit basic (on a bothy scale).   Has it had much work since?

Awful that people would do this.  

In reply to OMR:

Got in over the weekend in fairly wild conditions to repair the damage to the platforms.

Took the opportunity to do some further work, other joinery jobs and painting.

Just like to thank all of the good folks from UKC who contacted me offering their help to fix up the bothy

Ref some of the posts above, the bothy is in good order now and we have the full support of Atholl Estate. There is no vehicle access up Glen Tilt

Fiona Reid 29 Oct 2018

Thank you very much for doing this.  Fingers crossed folks behave more appropriately in future. 

Andy Johnson 29 Oct 2018

Thanks for all the work you put in Richard.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...