PRODUCT NEWS: Quadratic Tent System - New 2 Person Mountain Tent by The Theory Works

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 30 Aug 2018
Quadratic Tent System, 3 kbThe Theory Works has introduced the Quadratic Tent System.  Designed for the mountains, a unique new pole structure allows additional poles to be added to enhance the strength of the tent.  The two person tent is a system of components: so the tent can be customized when purchased - and reconfigured to suit every trip and season.

Read more
 Siward 30 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

This is precisely the sort of product that appeals to my nerdy tent fetish. Hence I will refuse even to go to the website in case I buy something.

All manufacturers should be falling over themselves to replace bits of tents rather than have to buy a new one. 

Welsh Kate 30 Aug 2018

Just had a play with this and like the idea - I have the cross-pole addition for my Henry Shires Scarp which turns a single hoop tent into something really beefy. I could easily have gone for one of these modular tents were I starting out buying tents now, but the website needs to give a total weight for the thing as you add bits to it!

More-On 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> the website needs to give a total weight for the thing as you add bits to it!

If you go to the customisation page there is a download that shows all the specs and weights for all variants.

Welsh Kate 30 Aug 2018
In reply to More-On:

I'd like to have that recalculated automatically as I go so I can play easily with combinations. 

More-On 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Fair enough. I like having it all on one sheet for easy reference, but each to their own.

It's a bit like some people preferring the Romans, whilst others prefer the medieval

Either way it looks a very nice tent...

Welsh Kate 31 Aug 2018
In reply to More-On:

touché!

Hat Dude 31 Aug 2018

Nice looking tents & idea; but charging extra for guy lines and only giving 4 pegs as standard seems a bit tight.

ianstevens 31 Aug 2018
In reply to Siward:

Terra Nova have been selling bits of tent for as long as I can remember. If you feel the need to make them even more bombproof, , buy an extra set of poles and double them up - plenty of space in the pole sleeves.

beardy mike 31 Aug 2018
In reply to More-On:

> It's a bit like some people preferring the Romans, whilst others prefer the medieval

It's literally nothing like that. Both the Romans and the Medievals went for heavy duty kit and there would be nothing to split the two. If we were talking the romans vs red indians...

Toerag 01 Sep 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Same goes for Hilleberg.  I do like the modular concept though, every user has different requirements and this will help people get the tent they need. If their needs change they can just change the necessary part.

Luke90 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

With most tents I'd agree with you but that seems consistent with the whole modular philosophy. Paying extra for the bits you want is just the glass half empty way of looking at only paying for the parts you need.

Plenty of people considering a tent like this might already have a preferred set of pegs, or different sets for different needs, and not require any bundled in. Also trivial enough to make your own guy lines if you want and again people might have their own preferences.

Robert Durran 02 Sep 2018

If it could be reconfigured so that you lie parallel to the door (as in any tent worth buying), I'd be seriously interested in one of these. The principle seems excellent. Maybe I need to wait for The Cubic.

Toerag 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

If you're tall lying parallel to the door can result in your head and/or feet pushing the inner against the outer and water getting in.

Robert Durran 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> If you're tall lying parallel to the door can result in your head and/or feet pushing the inner against the outer and water getting in.

Obviously I would check a tent was long enough before buying it!

Luke90 03 Sep 2018

I'm curious. What's the big advantage of lying parallel to the door?

In reply to Luke90:

> I'm curious. What's the big advantage of lying parallel to the door?

Far easier to cook etc. in the porch propped up on an elbow than on one's belly like a beached seal or in some other half-nelson like contorted position. Just makes living in the tent so much better. The porches are also usually larger for storage.

Luke90 03 Sep 2018

Makes sense. Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

galpinos 03 Sep 2018

I find they are ideal for one but feel claustrophobic for two. We've swapped the laser for an Easton 1 kilo (tradition end entrance) for mountain marathons as it's a lot nicer to be in.

In reply to galpinos:

> I find they are ideal for one but feel claustrophobic for two.

If there is only one porch, but I always get tents with two porches, so each person lies parallel to a door and has their own entrance - not claustrophobic at all.

Lightwave (who I work for) have a new tent out next year called the s22 sigma. It has two porches, which both campers sleep parallel with. 

Its also single skin (and actually breathable thank to the carbon activated x tex fabric used in the outer) and only weights 1.75kg.

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Its also single skin (and actually breathable thank to the carbon activated x tex fabric used in the outer) and only weights 1.75kg.

Single skin but has an outer? How does that work?! And what exactly does "carbon activated" mean?

I'm guessing it'll be along these lines Robert: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/lightwave_s10_sigma...

Really good tent, that

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Really good tent, that

But is single skin really the thing for general use in all weathers?

It depends on the skin, and x-tex works brilliantly. I have a Crux Assault made with that material.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...