Ski Mountaineering Argentina 2018 - Video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Returned from a great 3 weeks ski touring around Argentina a few weeks ago.  Some great mountaineering and skiing to be had,  Here is a short video of our first week in the Mendoza region before heading further South.  Highly recommend.

youtube.com/watch?v=4SdbExncPJ4&

Mark Bull 31 Aug 2018
In reply to Patrick Clissold:

Nice video!  The snow cover looks a bit "Scottish" - I take it that wasn't too much of a problem?

What were the logistics of travel, accommodation etc. like? 

In reply to Mark Bull:

There is plenty of snow, but wind is a big problem in removing it.  You have to choose the right valleys and aspects, but a lot of the touring starts down low where its a bit patchy.

Logistics were super easy.  We flew to Mendoza and hired a car.  Everything is super cheap, especially compared to Chile.  We did a mixture of huts and camping.

sam1971 07 Oct 2018

Great video. I plan similar in a year or two. 

Did you research routes from here or use a guide? If from here could you let me know which books/websites were most useful? Also are decent quality maps available? Final question is there any kind of avalanche service?

Cheers

Sam

In reply to sam1971:

Sam,

We used two guidebooks:

Handbook of Ski Mountaineering in the Andes Chile - Argentina - Frederic Lena

The Andes - A Guide for Climbers - John Biggar

That and looking at maps, google earth etc.  Maps were hard to come buy to be honest, although we saw a lot of good maps in Argentina, we couldn't find anyway of buying them, however we used a lot of maps etc on the phone.

There is no avalanche service per se however some useful tools can be found here to help with your decision making:

https://backcountryaccess.com/winter-weather-tools-for-south-america/

It's worth getting down south to Bariloche if you can; I was there when they were shooting the film Sun Dog below:

vimeo.com/111085476

It wasn't a great season but the couloir skiing was awesome and we followed this guy's tracks down some of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...