Sticht plate: history question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 danm 29 Aug 2018

Got a historical question which I was hoping the UKC hive mind could help answer. The sticht plate was patented in 1970 in Germany, but when was it first used in the UK? I first saw one as a child at an outdoor centre around 1983 or so, but I'm sure they must have been in use earlier than this. So, who used one back in the day, and  when from? If you didn't use one, what did people use instead, the waist belay, or something else?

Cheers!

nniff 29 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

I first used one in about 1977 I think, but they were well-established by then.  The other factor to bear in mind was when kernmantel rope come into common usage, replacing nylon hawser laid rope.

GridNorth 29 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

I found one in the Alps about 1971/2.  It was just a rectangle shaped piece of aluminium with a slot cut in the middle. I didn't have a clue what it was for 2 or 3 years. Yes we used waist belays.

Al

JohnBson 29 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

I know that my father used a fig. 8 descender from about the time that the Whillans harness was invented. It's what I started with.

In reply to danm:

I remember using the rectangular ones in the early/mid 70's. They didn't work so well on laid ropes, which were still common in those days.

Edited for spelling!

Post edited at 14:17
In reply to danm:

Like the one without the spring, shown in this article.
http://www.compasswest.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/birth-of-the-belay-...

steveriley 29 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

Does it mark me out as a hopeless beardy that I'm still using the 9/11mm spring version bought c1981?

philhilo 29 Aug 2018
In reply to steveriley:

nope, I only retired mine a couple of years back because the spring was broken and it did get frighteningly hot on long abseils (and I wanted something with guide mode).

GravitySucks 29 Aug 2018
In reply to steveriley:

Me too !  Those Cosmic Aresters were just cheap imitations that kept jamming

nutstory 29 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

The Salewa Sticht plate is mentioned and shown in the book Ice Snow & Rock by Gaston Rébuffat and published in 1970.

Trangia 29 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

I got mine in 1980 and I still use it as a spare back up. The spring is still sound.

Prior to that I used a waist belay with leather gloves. Still occasionally use a waist belay for bringing up a competent second quickly on easy climbs.

GridNorth 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Careful Trangia you'll have the "best practice police" coming down on you

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...