Easyjet - Walking Poles as Cabin Baggage?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yalms 28 Aug 2018

Am going out to the Alps for a couple of weeks walking in September. Travelling light, so cabin baggage only. Has anyone ever taken walking poles as cabin baggage on an Easyjet flight?

Luke90 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

Your issue will be getting through security and nobody can tell you for certain whether that will work or not. Easyjet have no influence over the security checkpoint and it will depend partly on the decisions of the individual staff on the checkpoint.

Trangia 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

> Your issue will be getting through security and nobody can tell you for certain whether that will work or not. Easyjet have no influence over the security checkpoint and it will depend partly on the decisions of the individual staff on the checkpoint.

Spot on.

I've got the same problem next month going to Spain. So I've asked a friend who flies the route regularly to ask security each time he goes what is their attitude to walking poles? So far he's had one no, two no problems, and one who said OK so long as they are folding ones! All those who said ok insist they should have rubber covers on the tips.

So it seems, probably ok, but if you meet Mr No, then you run the risk of losing them or gong back to check them in. 

Your choice.

Post edited at 09:41
 marsbar 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

Nothing to do with easyJet and everything to do with the airport.  

Liverpool apparently confiscated gas stoves without cannister in case of left over gas!!!

Email the airport and ask them.   I imagine it will be no due to pointy bits.  

Might be easier and cheapest price  to buy a pair when you arrive and leave them at a charity shop.  Or post yours to your accommodation.  

Post edited at 11:40
 Dark-Cloud 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

Which airport ?

malk 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

me too. i looked into it - not permitted, but EJ do a hands free option at the airport (£5) that lets you put your cabin baggage in the hold (so pointy things, liquids etc allowed)

malk 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

here it is: https://www.easyjet.com/en/hands-free-upgrade

'travel like a pro'

Neil Williams 28 Aug 2018
In reply to malk:

They used to do that for nowt, it just wasn't really promoted.

But anyway - my view on airport security is that if you can't afford to lose it and it's even *vaguely* dodgy, don't bother.  If they're ten quid poles that you can risk binning, by all means try it (but make sure the rubber ends are on).  If they're proper Lekis, I wouldn't bother.

TBH I always consider a hold bag part of the cost of a flight anyway.  It's so much easier.

Post edited at 14:03
 marsbar 28 Aug 2018
In reply to malk:

Good solution 

ianstevens 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

I'd have thought the first issue is getting them under 56cm long...

jkarran 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

Fair chance you'll lose them at security. Post them to your hotel in advance?

jk

Babika 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

Walking/hiking poles are specifically listed by Easyjet as a prohibited item for cabin baggage. 

I always bite the bullet and check them in- don't want to lose my nice Black Diamond z-folding pair

kevin stephens 28 Aug 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> Nothing to do with easyJet and everything to do with the airport.  

> Liverpool apparently confiscated gas stoves without cannister in case of left over gas!!!

This is standard even in hold bags,  apparently  residual traces of gas can set off explosive detectors in the  baggage handling. I normally blow through my gas stove then pack it in the middle of climbing hardware to obscure the x Ray 

OP Yalms 30 Aug 2018
In reply to malk:

That's a good shout - my phones on Three so I got it for nothing as well!

OP Yalms 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Yalms:

Thanks for all the thoughts guys - I've gone for the EJ hands-free option, not going to risk losing my poles. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...