Eurostar ice axe drama - help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 28 Aug 2018

Heading to the Alps next week. Just checked with Eurostar about ice axes as heard mixed things.

They're now saying can't take them on the train, nor on checked bags as our train goes direct to Lyon, and there's no bag collection depot there so have to arrange a door to door service there and back.

Even ignoring the expense (about £100 each and there's three of us going from different addresses!) it's not really possible as not at home before I travel, and coming back am leaving really early.

WTF!?

Post edited at 09:02
 Dark-Cloud 28 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

How will they know if they are in checked luggage ?

Neil Williams 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I think they don't offer checked luggage to Lyon.

They seem to change their policy on this as often as they change their socks.  Is it an option to hire them, and just fly with easyJet next time?

Dark-Cloud 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

Ahh, OK, i see.

Timmd 28 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Is there any chance you could wrap the sharp parts in foam and then place them head down in the bottom of the rucksacks and pack things around them so that they're hidden away in carry on rucksack luggage?

Post edited at 12:27
 timjones 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Timmd:

IIRC handluggage is x-rayed at check in.

PaulW 28 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Perhaps a pain but take the picks off completely? Then put all the bits in bubble wrap.

In reply to timjones:

It is, and you wouldn't get away with doing that.

In reply to PaulW:

They'd still see it.

two_tapirs 28 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Post them to your destination/hotel for collection when you arrive

Ben Briggs 28 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Post the picks, it will be much cheaper than the whole axe then stick the shaft in a bag, can’t imagine they would have a problem with that. 

tehmarks 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Ben Briggs:

No issues with the spike? I suppose it depends on the tool in question - my tools for example are the very opposite of sharp, whereas my mountaineering axe was pretty lethal new and is still really quite pointy now after a couple of seasons of use.

cwarby 28 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Having just had a trip via Le Shuttle and comparing it to flying to Rome earlier in the year, i was amazed at the lack of checks. On a plane I can take 100ml liquids in a plastic bag, my belt/shoes come off and my passport checked christ knows how many times. On the train I load a campervan with whatever liquid I want and gas cylinders and my passports checked once. Both forms of transport have a couple of hundred people on board, so why the difference? I reckon my van is a bigger potential risk than you bashing a few people with an ice axe. Hope you (eventually) have a good trip.

Chris

Toerag 29 Aug 2018
In reply to cwarby:

The difference is not everyone dies when your van blows up.

OP JayPee630 29 Aug 2018
In reply to two_tapirs:

No time to post and would costs a fortune and no guarantee anyone at destination to collect them.

Anyway, spent ages on the phone and they've finally said they're OK to be taken.

They really need to sort this out.

EwanR 29 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

I would be wary of taking them without written confirmation from someone very senior at Eurostar.

Their "dangerous sporting goods" page states:

If you’re travelling with any of these items, you’ll need to contact Eurodespatch, our registered luggage service: ice axes and other climbing and mountaineering equipment, javelins, spears and spear guns, crossbows, crossbow bolts, longbows, longbow arrows and starting pistols, swords or starting pistols. Keep in mind that these are all subject to approval and security checks.

There was a period when thanks to the efforts of the BMC and others ice axes were allowed. Following   the terrorist activity in France and Belgium Eurostar have taken advantage of the situation to once again restrict luggage that one can legally take on any other train in Europe. 

If you were coming from France then there's a chance that the ice axe would pass as alpinism is a widely recognised activity in France. On the London side there's no chance that it'll pass.

The goal appears to be to discourage people from taking large bags as the trains don't have enough space. After many years of using the tunnel I've now given up.

It's worth remembering that the vehicle services are run by a separate company.

cwarby 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Maybe not. But if I've got an amount of various liquids such as acid, acetone and hydrogen peroxide, I'm going to do some real damage to a train doing even 50+mph. Numbers of dead are irrelevant, its the terror factor. I was just comparing the two in context of the OP and his axes. Not everyone dies if he goes on the rampage. My van is still a bigger risk.

Reach>Talent 29 Aug 2018
In reply to cwarby:

> Maybe not. But if I've got an amount of various liquids such as acid, acetone and hydrogen peroxide, I'm going to do some real damage to a train doing even 50+mph.

If you take those things on the chunnel you can reasonably expect a sternly worded ticking off. I have the sneaking suspicion that they have a flat ban on gas cylinders and don't allow anything with more than one hazard class (ie. Toxic and corrosive or flammable and corrosive etc.) 

cwarby 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Only if they check, they don't. Gas cylinders are ok as long as they are disconnected.

Reach>Talent 29 Aug 2018
In reply to cwarby:

I have just checked, the restrictions on gas bottles is only on larger sizes although they apparently have to be declared. 

They may not check frequently but they do check. 

subtle 30 Aug 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

> They really need to sort this out.

No, THEY, don't - people booking and assuming they can carry on ice axes should check before booking.

The only person making a drama of this is you.

Have a happy trip anyway, I'm sure we will hear all about it once your back  

nniff 30 Aug 2018
In reply to subtle:

No - it's an utterly bonkers policy  Any other train - no problem but this one would appear to be a perceived magnet for those with malign intent.  It clearly has nothing to do with the tunnel - you can drive a car onto the car version, take a shotgun out of the boot of your car and move through the train at your leisure if you were so minded, and they're not going to stop the train in the tunnel and evacuate either (which wouldn't help anyway).  It makes no sense whatsoever and if you really were determined to cause trouble it doesn't take the wit of a daisy to make up something lethal that complies with the rules.

Neil Williams 30 Aug 2018
In reply to subtle:

> No, THEY, don't - people booking and assuming they can carry on ice axes should check before booking.

I'd suggest that changing your baggage policy repeatedly and without publicity is a poor way to do business.

jezzah 01 Sep 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

So did you get them there (and back again!) on the train?

OP JayPee630 02 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

Dick. They weren't giving a clear answer, getting a mix of it's OK and then not and then back again is hardly something that's easy to deal with when you're planning a trip.

OP JayPee630 17 Sep 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Update:

UK side, they pulled all three of us aside and asked one to empty the bag. Asked what they were for, and they then consulted what was the senior there who just waved us through.

French side: no problems, wasn't even mentioned.

Toby_W 17 Sep 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

just pack a wash bag.  I was ill once and flew a day later and in my semi ill state left my wash bag in my hand luggage.  They gleefully emptied my bag throwing shampoo, toothpaste and deodorant away whilst looking at me each time like I was a peodophile but, left the big knife that i’d also left in, in the top of my bag.

youtube.com/watch?v=2-k5h8arZYM&

good luck and have a great trip.

Toby

Andy Gamisou 18 Sep 2018
In reply to EwanR:

"If you’re travelling with any of these items, you’ll need to contact Eurodespatch, our registered luggage service: ice axes and other climbing and mountaineering equipment"

Does this mean I can't take my chalk bag with me?

Post edited at 06:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...