Ocun Dominator competitors/Bouldering mat as mattress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke90 22 Aug 2018

Does anybody know of a bouldering pad where you can reconfigure the two halves in a similar way to the Ocun Dominator? (It unzips at the hinge so that you can make it long and thin.)

It seems like a feature that would be useful occasionally anyway but I'm in the process of converting a small van into a camper. It doesn't really have space to store a bouldering mat so I thought I could get a pad that's capable of doing double duty as a mattress, which means it needs to be long and narrow.

The Dominator in its long, narrow configuration is almost perfect for the job but just a touch too long to fit. It's also a little on the thick and expensive side but I could get over that.

So, does anybody know of alternative options that might suit me? Not necessarily reconfigurable like the Dominator, permanently long and narrow would also work. I estimate something with a width in the 60-80cm range would suit me.

Post edited at 14:33
 tjin 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Edelrid mantle? 

Sleeping on a crashpad does degrade the foam a lot, so not very good for the life expectancy. 

OP Luke90 22 Aug 2018
In reply to tjin:

Thanks, I hadn't managed to find that one. Sadly, it's even longer than the Ocun so my van's not really long enough. I need to find something that's less than 200cm long and a maximum of 80cm wide.

Yeah, I have been a bit worried about damaging the pad in the long run. It's only going to be a weekend van so i won't be sleeping on it all the time but it's definitely a concern. I've seen other discussions about it and opinions range from "you'll definitely ruin the pad completely within weeks" to "don't be silly, it'll be fine". I'm torn.

Post edited at 15:05
 gravy 22 Aug 2018
OP Luke90 22 Aug 2018
In reply to gravy:

Thanks for the idea. I suspect that custom made is probably out of my price range but I've messaged him to enquire.

Mark1800 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

My van is similar, I just store the pad on top of the bed and then put it on the front seats when sleeping, I don't know if that would be an option for you?

Never mind the geometry, check that the pad is soft enough to sleep on - I would not want to spend a night sleeping on a Dominator which has fairly hard padding.

OP Luke90 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Mark1800:

Yeah, that could be an option but if I've got lots of stuff in the back I don't want to have to shift too much into the front each night. Plus, keeping the front seats clear makes it less obvious that I'm sleeping in the back which is helpful in some locations.

I think most pads are probably a bit hard to be truly comfortable on their own. Whatever mat I end up with, I'm expecting to add a thin layer of softer foam on top.

OP Luke90 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

At the moment, it's between a Snap Quarter Pounder (which is weird but quite flexible) and a custom pad from the link posted further up.

The Snap Whopper is almost perfect but, like the Ocun reconfigurable pads, a bit too long to fit. Does anyone know a pad like the Snap Whopper but a smidge smaller? (It separates completely into two halves but velcros together in different configurations, which seems like a step up over the Ocun method with a zip.)

Si dH 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

All of the 'square'  Ocun pads recnfigure from square to rectangular in the same way. I have a Moonwalk and a Sundance. The moonwalk is the same L x W  as a Dominator but with a more normal foam type and 1cm thinner. The Sundance is slightly smaller though and also a bit thinner still and, as a bonus, cheaper.

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/ocun-paddy-sundance-crashpad-001/

Post edited at 19:26
OP Luke90 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Si dH:

Brilliant, that's useful information. If there's a risk of ruining a pad, I'd rather take that gamble on a cheap one.

Unfortunately, the Sundance seems to have very similar dimensions to the Dominator. Same total length of 200cm in the long, narrow arrangement which means it still won't fit in my little van.

As a side note, I'm a little confused by the Sundance dimensions Ocun quote on their website. They give it the same dimensions as the Dominator in packed or long and narrow configuration but say it's smaller in one dimension when opened out conventionally, which seems inconsistent.

Sundance dimensions:

Size: 100×120 cm / 200×66 cm

Size (Packed): 100×66×18 cm

Dominator dimensions:

Size: 100×132 cm / 200×66 cm

Size (Packed): 100×66×29 cm

I assumed it was really the same size as the Dominator and Moonwalk just with different foam but perhaps you might be able to explain the inconsistency if you've got one?

Edit: Any chance that they're significantly exaggerating the 200cm total length? Because that's my best hope really.

Post edited at 19:53
 Si dH 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

It is definitely 120x100 out or 60x100 packed, their single-width dimension for the sun dance are wrong.

But no, sorry, I think 200 long is correct.to within a cm or so. 

Edit: if you need something a bit under 200 then I would recommend looking at US brands. I don't know of any that sell pads that convert to rectangular form like the Ocuns, but there might be some. Their standard width (Metolius, Organic etx) is 3 ft ie 91 cm, so a rectamgle version would be 182cm long. European manufacturers are almost all a standard 100cm wide, so will be 200 when folded out.

Post edited at 20:04
OP Luke90 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Si dH:

Ah well, thanks for the info and for solving the mystery.

HeMa 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

If ~180cm is long enough, Organic full/simple pad + half/briefcase pad will provide a cozy 180x90 or so matteress... just add a thin mattress topper on top and it'll be super cozy... The mattress topper will also make life nicer as after a bouldering sesh the pads can be dirty, where as the top of the topper will be nice and clean.

OP Luke90 23 Aug 2018
In reply to HeMa:

Good idea, thanks. Though I can't find anywhere with the Briefcase or Half pads in stock. Organic ship to here but the postage is expensive and then I'd probably have to pay import duties and extra fees.

HeMa 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Yeah,  I think Organic is pretty much sold out on most models in Yurp... but asking directly from a retailer if/when they'll be getting more might make sense.

If ordering directly from the states, yeah shippin' will be spendy and getting hit with customs & VAT will make them bloody expensive.

A similar option would be to get a suitable pad and then cut to fit foam to fill the "rest"...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...