Underwear and shorts advice for hill running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 22 Aug 2018

After a long and arduous hill run the other day, I've realised that I need some lower-body garments that offload sweat a bit (a lot) better and quicker! I'd be grateful for recommendations. Given that this is hill running, with the associated jolting, "supportive" underwear is a must(!) Currently using Runderwear which are indeed supportive and, along with BodyGlide, do a good job of preventing chafing, but they just get too wet and heavy. Current shorts are something I got off Sportpursuit for a song which will be easy to improve on. A pocket for a car key is preferable but not necessary. Thanks in advance!

steelbru 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I use 2 in 1 shorts, with the longer leg inners then find I don't need to use Bodyglide. I've got a few pairs, all the sportswear companies do similar, here's an example of Ronhill ones that are similar to an older model I have http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-stride-twin-5-short-1/

yorkshireman 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

All my running is on trail and in the mountains and I often just wear a pair of fairly close fitting undercrackers if I'm only out for an hour or so. If I'm going longer I'll wear a pair of cheap stretch thigh length Decathlon shorts underneath to prevent chafing - managed a 100 miler earlier in the year in a pair of those with no problems.

I don't like to use shorts that have the inners integrated because I might wear the same pair of outer shorts for two or three runs so its better to just change the underwear.

If you're running a long way, stay clear of compression shorts. Seems like a good idea but during ultras they - well how can I put this - essentially compress your butt cheeks together - combine that with a couple of hundred thousands steps and you've got a red-raw crack. I've got a couple of pairs of Skins A400s (I think) and they're terrible for this.

Neil Williams 22 Aug 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Must depend on your anatomy (as do so many things about running - I can't do even 5K in split running shorts without having no inner thigh skin left at all), as I was going to recommend Skins A400s - nothing seems to work better for me.

They're a bit pricey but you can often get them heavily discounted from SportsPursuit and the likes.

r0b 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

Same here I get chafing from split shorts so either wear triathlon shorts or baggy shorts with a built in inner short. These ones are good and fairly cheap: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-2-in-1-7-run-short/

In reply to yorkshireman:

> If you're running a long way, stay clear of compression shorts. Seems like a good idea but during ultras they - well how can I put this - essentially compress your butt cheeks together - combine that with a couple of hundred thousands steps and you've got a red-raw crack. I've got a couple of pairs of Skins A400s (I think) and they're terrible for this.

I have worn compression shorts (inc Skins 400) for many years and never found that problem.
Admittedly never done any "Ultras", but have been running in hot weather for up to 3.5hr.

I also sweat like a shoplifter in Dixons!

SouthernSteve 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Me too -  I have been fine in Skins - I do run Ultras now and then. Not the best look though! I get sore inner thighs with many shorts and need copious body glide or similar.

In reply to SouthernSteve:

>  Not the best look though! 

For the sake of the rest of humanity I wear loose fitting shorts over the top of them.

yorkshireman 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Don't get me wrong, the Skins are a great bit of kit (they should be for the price) but I'd put a 12 hour limit on wearing them. I realise I'm talking about an extreme case but it's a lesson you learn the hard way and so I thought it valuable to share !

wbo 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:how long a run?  Plus your shape has a degree of influence too.  Depending on the weather I've been using 2 part shorts or simple running shorts and particularly for the latter haven't found anything better than Nike or Adidas.  They are a bunch better than most other brands.  I hear good things re. Salomon stuff but their shorts and tights dont fit me

The New NickB 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Do you really need support? I find it can often lead to discomfort, particularly when there is too much compression. I hate long shorts, but also have issues with chaffage, Adidas did a short two layer short that just gave very light support and the under layer was just long enough to stop chaffage from legs rubbing together. Unfortunately they seem to have discontinued them.

Roberttaylor 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I used to suffer from chafing (balls on inside thighs) when running. I now wear Bawbags wicking boxer shorts under a pair of light ronhill shorts/running leggings/ronhills depending on temperatures.

Dave B 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/brooks-sherpa-7-inch-2-in-1-mens-running-sho...

These ones worked for me .. But not xl. As I'm small

OP Tricadam 23 Aug 2018

Thanks folks. I've got some full length A400s (off Sportpursuit - they are indeed pricey!) for colder conditions and they work well so will try the shorter version. Actually maybe long version is better given how much bracken I seem to run through... Could be good for keeping those ticks, midges and deer keds at bay. 

Any recommendations for some light, very breathable and quick-drying shorts to wear over them? 

SouthernSteve 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

> Any recommendations for some light, very breathable and quick-drying shorts to wear over them? 

Light cheap nylon shorts with the innards ripped out do for me. 

Wainers44 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

The best ones for me are the cheapest most basic Ron Hills. They are very light  even if soaked and on the long runs they will dry off quickly if the rain does stop. 

Never get chaffing issues and have done quite a a few ultras and a half dozen LDWA100s. Always wear the Ron Hill shorts and underarmour kaks. Loads of vaseline used too(but I never double dip!). 

Neil Williams 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

> Any recommendations for some light, very breathable and quick-drying shorts to wear over them? 

Near enough any cheap running shorts?  Cut the liner out if it's annoying.

jack89 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Decathlon does a range of very reasonably priced (£15-25?) trail running two-part shorts/tights/leggings. Wear nothing underneath. They've 4 or so well positioned pockets that can comfortably support a 500ml soft flash (rear), phone (front), apple/ banana/ gels and keys (sides) negating the need for a bag on longer runs. Compressive and supportive even with all that loaded.

I'm a big fan.

Webster 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

to quote a colleague form work... SAX are like "having your man meat cradled in gods beard"!

not made specifically for running but he trail runs in them

ianstevens 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

For fell running it's compulsory to wear the shortest shorts possible and no underwear. Risk of ball exposure should be high for all males.

OP Tricadam 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Webster:

> to quote a colleague form work... SAX are like "having your man meat cradled in gods beard"!

David, reading that has just made my eyes unclean!

steveriley 23 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

I have a friend with a pre race stretch/yoga routine. I no longer enter the same races as him, such is the mental scarring.

OP Tricadam 23 Aug 2018
In reply to steveriley:

> I have a friend with a pre race stretch/yoga routine. I no longer enter the same races as him, such is the mental scarring.

Could this be the ony tactic capable of hobbling Finlay Wild at the Ben race?

Y Gribin 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I’ve tried Runderwear too but find them too hot ‘down there’. Shorts with a Lycra inner don’t work for me as I seem to wear out the inner until they chafe.

Currently I’m using these - simple shorts with a mesh liner. They’re cheap and work pretty well:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-7-run-short/

They have a good key pocket. I wish they had normal pockets too - just for ‘standing around with my hands in my pockets’ - but I’ll manage!

OP Tricadam 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

> They have a good key pocket. I wish they had normal pockets too - just for ‘standing around with my hands in my pockets’ - but I’ll manage!

I know what you mean: I've got a pair of shorts like that. It's like, "What am I supposed to do with my hands now?" Well, probably supposed to be running, to be fair.

ianstevens 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

> Could this be the ony tactic capable of hobbling Finlay Wild at the Ben race?

Nah, he must have seen it a million times by now and have gained adaptive immunity

OP Tricadam 23 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> Nah, he must have seen it a million times by now and have gained adaptive immunity

I wonder if the continentals are similarly adapted. Could be a useful strategy if any fast ones come over for the Glencoe Skyline... Show em the William Wallace style of hill running.

FREEDOM!

tjhare1 24 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

I'm definitely in this camp (without the ball exposure though!).

In all seriousness though, I typically wear old-skool, loose, split-side short-shorts. They have sewn-in briefs. I have never, ever had any chafing or irritation doing so and run the classic rough fell races (Jura, Borrowdale, etc.). So, maybe there is something in the ways of old?

Neil Williams 24 Aug 2018
In reply to tjhare1:

Depends as I said on your body shape.  If you have large muscular legs and/or a small pelvis your inner thighs are likely to rub and chafe once you sweat - this happens to me (I'm not built like a stereotypical runner).  If you have skinny legs (more stereotypical runner's build) and a larger pelvis they won't.

Basically imagine your shadow standing with feet shoulder width apart - if there's an obvious gap between your legs all the way up you'll be fine, if there isn't you won't.

Were this not the case I'd wear traditional shorts for the freedom of movement etc.  But if I run even 5K in traditional shorts (basically any distance where I've started sweating "down below") I'm not going to be running again for a week while the skin grows back.  Last time I tried it I drew blood.

Post edited at 09:01
OP Tricadam 24 Aug 2018

> Depends as I said on your body shape.  If you have large muscular legs and/or a small pelvis your inner thighs are likely to rub and chafe once you sweat - this happens to me (I'm not built like a stereotypical runner).

As opposed to the stereotypical runner who has small scrawny legs and a massive schlong? Not sure about the latter, but while big balls do help one's descent, they do require support! Hate that feeling of every big stride down being accompanied by the feeling that one's bollocks are attempting the great escape out of the bottom of one's scrotum. (Strains of Freddie Mercury signing I want to break free - or maybe the whistled Great Escape theme.)

You make a good point re chafing being about body shape though. If inner upper thighs are sufficiently close together as to rub, chafing will occur. Scrotum also very likely to get involved here. The other variables will be amount sweated and skin type. I've found that something close-fitting plus Body Glide does the job but that, if not, the chafe will occur as sure as night follows day if the run is anything over an hour or two. On the other hand, if it's a walk then, presumably due to less sweating and less vigorous moving of skin-on-skin, I can wear a simple pair of loose-fitting merino-cocona blend boxers and all is well with the world.

mbh 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I run most days, but rarely more than 10 miles.

Not much chafing happens down below, whatever I wear and whatever the temperature. While it's been hot, I have mostly worn loose Decathlon shorts with no pants. When it's colder I put Decathlon running pants on as well (inside, I'm not Superman) and if it's raining and cold I wear some make or other of lycra cycling-type shorts. These are warmer and don't flap when soaked.

Nipples though, are a constant problem. Or rather, the problem is finding a make of tape or plaster that stays on and isn't a form of torture (I mean you duct tape) when I pull it off. Currently, the one-long-roll-of-plaster from Tiger seems to work best.

steelbru 24 Aug 2018
In reply to mbh:

Sore/bleeding nipples caused by sweaty material constantly rubbing over them. If you wear a tight t-shirt, eg compression style, then the material doesn't move and you don't get any chaffing.

So for runs over about 1.5 hours, compression t-shirt in summer, close fitting thermal in winter.

The only time I tape up the nips is when wearing club vest on it's own for half marathon or above - it's not tight enough to not rub.

mbh 24 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks. 

However, tight tee shirt increasingly not a good look at my age. However much I run.

I wonder if the strap of the HRM I never use might be a better alternative to plasters that mostly fall off.

The New NickB 24 Aug 2018
In reply to jack89:

I find the Decathlon twin skin train shorts really uncomfortable, having said you should not need support, these seem to do the opposite for me, supporting in all the wrong directions.

OP Tricadam 24 Aug 2018
In reply to mbh:

Interesting. I've never ever had nipple chafage. #grateful

OP Tricadam 24 Aug 2018
In reply to mbh:

> When it's colder I put Decathlon running pants on as well (inside, I'm not Superman)

This reminds me of the little known fact that Jack Bauer and Superman once had a fight. The deal was that whoever lost had to wear their pants on the outside. 

Gone 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

> Interesting. I've never ever had nipple chafage. #grateful

Women don’t tend to get nipple chafage. A tight top for men will work as the next best thing to a sports bra, and  if aesthetics require, the skimpy top could be worn as an undergarment under something less revealing.

r0b 25 Aug 2018
In reply to mbh:

Bog standard micropore tape works for me, 2.5" strips so there is plenty to stick

Dave B 25 Aug 2018
In reply to mbh:

Mefix tape... 

Sutty22 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I use Under Armour boxer shorts and seriously have never had a single chafage issue. I like them so much, they are now the only boxers I wear. Supportive but not restrictive, comfortable, dry quick, no chafing, I just love them.

mbh 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave B and r0b:

Bit late, but thanks both. Will try your suggestions when I finally get to the end of my reel of duct tape. Ouch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...