Waterproof trousers for large thighs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 asteclaru 18 Aug 2018

I'm getting fed up with my ME Tupilak trousers being too tight across my thighs, so I'm looking to replace them with something more generously sized/less restrictive. I can't just go a size up as then I'll end up with them too large at the waist and too long (the XL I have now are larger and longer than I'd like as it is)

Apart from the fit, the most important thing is breathability : I find Goretex Pro okay-ish in that regard, but I wouldn't mind them being more breathable. I would also like them to have braces.

So far the only model on my radar is the Jottnar Vanir, but it seems that Jottnar only sell through their website, so it's impossible to try them on before buying.

Any other models I should look at?

Thanks

TobyA 19 Aug 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

I have the first generation of Vanir salopettes and they are trim over my big thighs. Don't know about subsequent years, and there is some stretch to the material. I'd see if Marmot do something that looks interesting. I've got a number of Marmot trousers and they seem to cut looser there. I'm 5'10 and normally fit medium but it can be a problem over my bum and thighs - but for me Marmot can fit ok. 

OP asteclaru 19 Aug 2018
In reply to TobyA:

thank you for your reply

it was this bit from your review of the Vanir that gave me a bit of hope that they might work better than my Tupilaks :

'The medium fits me well; they are trim without being tight on my cyclist's thighs and non-scrawny bum.'

Have you ever tried the Tupilak trousers? How does the Vanir compare to them on your thighs?

girlymonkey 19 Aug 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

Paramo are notoriously loose fitting. I love mine

TobyA 19 Aug 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

Never tried any ME shell gear I'm afraid.

cb294 19 Aug 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

Arcteryx are generally much more loosely fitting than ME.
My A'x salopettes make me look a bit like a hip hopper, but they fit my thighs much better than most other brands I tried. No idea what the particular model is called, though, must be almost ten years old by now.

CB

olddirtydoggy 19 Aug 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

Not sure what sex you are but maybe try a womens cut if you're a bloke. Nothing wrong with wearing womens clothes these days.

Andy Hardy 19 Aug 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

If you like the paramo fabric, you could get a pair made by cioch (based on Skye), they will make them to measure 

Timmd 19 Aug 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

Could you measure your thigh circumference and contact Jottnar?

OP asteclaru 20 Aug 2018
In reply to cb294:

I've tried the Alpha SL yesterday. It was slightly better than the Tupilaks, but still not ideal. The Alpha AR should be looser fitting, but they've just been revised by Arcteryx and they won't be available until December, according to the guy in the store

OP asteclaru 20 Aug 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I have actually thought of that, but they don't seem to make them in a 36 waist. I am indeed a bloke btw

Post edited at 09:22
OP asteclaru 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Timmd:

That's a great suggestion, thank you. I will give that a go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...