Winter Waterpoofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StuDoig 10 Aug 2018

Hi Folks,

My trusty ME Ogre has given up the fight against the Scottish weather so looking for a replacement jacket.  Ideally good for Climbing, walking and skiing, the priority to the first 2.  I've listed a few likes/dislikes below - does anyone have recommendations good or bad?

Please take as read the normal comments about how it needs to fit properly etc etc.

1) Preferably with a proper storm flap rather than reliance on water-resistant zips.

2) Ideally no pitzips (unless something like buffalo / paramo that's designed to be worn all day).  Not a deal breaker though!

3) Properly helmet compatible hood - a must!

4) Cavernous chest pockets.

5) Not event of neoshell - neither works for me!

Open to different suggestions - I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has tried the Cotton Analogy jackets from Hilltrek for example.

All advice thankfully received!

Cheers!

Stu

Pedro 13 Aug 2018
In reply to StuDoig:

HI STU, long story short. After much searching I found the Haglofs Roc Hard to be the best jacket. I like everything except the name ! Bought one from LDMountain Centre. They have a couple of sizes on offer now.  Good Hunting.

OP StuDoig 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Pedro:

Cheers Pedro - appreciate the steer!

JPE 13 Aug 2018
In reply to StuDoig:

Out of interest how did you find the Ogre? Considering buying one on clearance at the mo! 

Currently using the Paramount Enduro (women's version) for winter stuff. Has a storm flap (with handy poppers so you can vent the jacket without having it flapping) and 2 chest pockets, one small and one large. Downside is that I get so warm in it that I can only wear it in subzero temperatures...

OP StuDoig 14 Aug 2018
In reply to JPE:

I really liked the Ogre, and it was one of the first I looked at for a new jacket, but the design has changed a bit since I bought mine (about 7 years ago) so looking at what else is out there. 

Biggest change is the fabric - they've moved to their own drilite fabric rather than Goretex and I'm not sure how they compare in waterproofness or wear etc but also added pitzips and taken away the external storm flap (the lack of and presence of respectively I liked).  The general cut of the jacket was good, hood was reasonably helmet compatible and it's held up well to several years of abuse.  It's still useable, but has been relegated to dog walking jacket as it tends to start leaking now after an hr or so in the rain.  A good jacket though.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...