Total approach shoe disaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam B 09 Aug 2018

5.10 have stopped making the Goretex, mid-ankle version of the Camp Four approach shoe. There are no retailers who still have a pair in my size.

I am devastated. There have been actual tears. What do I do? Mine have almost worn through the soles, and the uppers are held together at the seams with duct tape.

Can anyone tell me what to do? Do I get the non-Goretex version and just cane them with Scotch Guard or something? Do I switch brand, and if so, can anyone tell me how other rubber compounds like 'Vibram Megagrip' compare to S1 Stealth Rubber? What model of approach shoe most closely resembles a Goretex Camp Four, without having been cruelly snatched away from those who can't imagine life without them?

Send help.

guy127917 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

> Mine have almost worn through the soles, and the uppers are held together at the seams with duct tape.

This happened to mine after about 2 weeks, isn't it the natural state of 5.10 shoes?

Wee Davie 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

I've always found La Sportiva Boulder X's have pretty decent water resistant properties. Have you tried them? They're good for easy climbing too. 

girlymonkey 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

Adidas terrex. I won't use anything else now. They do all varieties of styles and their grip is excellent 

bouldery bits 09 Aug 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Interesting! Which model?

I mourned the demise of the Adidas swoop 2 which was, for me, the perfect fell shoe (except on wet polished rock where it was as dangerous a velciraptor in a shower cubicle) .

girlymonkey 09 Aug 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

Oh, I have no idea what my favourite ones are! I have about 3 different models and like them all. They have been really good on wet rock too. The ones I have wouldn't be good for edging, but I don't edge much anyway. 

girlymonkey 09 Aug 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

From a quick browse on Google, I think my two main pairs are adidas Womens Terrex AX2R GTX Multisport shoes and tracerockers. 

Footloose 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

I'm in a similar state of despair at the final total demise of my beloved Salomon approach shoes. I've patched them up with Gorilla Glue and puncture repair kits, to no avail: they've had it. Yes, there are lots of other Salomons out there, but having tried several pairs that are as near as I can get to my obsolete ones I'm seriously thinking about [shock horror!] changing brand.

For me it's critical that they should be ultra-light, waterproof, resilient, long-lasting, flexible, giving good support to the foot and ankle without cutting off the circulation or preventing the ankle from flexing.

I too need all the help I can get. Please!

Alkis 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Really? I love my Boulder X’s to bits, I’m about to get my third pair, but I always found their water resistance to be rather similar to that of a dry sponge!

routrax 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

La Sportiva TX4 mid GTX look pretty good. I've got the non GTX low rips and they climb and walk we?l, just not at all  waterproof .

bouldery bits 09 Aug 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Fab, thanks for that. Tracerockers look interesting...

jam 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

Get the non-Goretex ones and wear Sealskinz socks. 

Goretex in shoes is a pet peeve of mine, I can't find any well fitting boots without the damn stuff in them now.

1philjones1 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

If you’re a 10 or 11 Sport Pursuit have them for £70.

kaiser 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

This is what you want (link to american site)

mid height, goretex, stealth rubber (and nothing comes close to stealth rubber IMV) and better build quality than 5-10

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/IJP92.html

LastBoyScout 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Footloose:

> I'm in a similar state of despair at the final total demise of my beloved Salomon approach shoes. I've patched them up with Gorilla Glue and puncture repair kits, to no avail: they've had it. Yes, there are lots of other Salomons out there, but having tried several pairs that are as near as I can get to my obsolete ones I'm seriously thinking about [shock horror!] changing brand.

Had to have a minute's silence a couple of weeks ago for my first pair of Exit Low 2000s- the soles had crumbled beyond anything I could realistically do with glue

Of the 2 remaining pairs, one are only in use in the garden and the other has probably reached the lower threshold of respectability in public...

Rigid Raider 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

What are approach shoes anyway? Overpriced trainers?

Post edited at 09:29
 Si_G 11 Aug 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I find the heel raise on the AX2R uncomfortable. Rams my foot into the toe box. 

Ridge 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Footloose:

> resilient, long-lasting

You had a pair of resilient and long-lasting Salomons???

AlanLittle 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

Having gone through similar trauma when Inov8 stopped making the Flyroc 310 I can offer you nothing but sympathy.

Footloose 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Ridge:

I did - they managed several thousand miles before they fell apart. Like I say, I haven't been able to find an adequate replacement since Salomon discontinued this particular design.

Post edited at 13:25
In reply to Sam B:

La Sportiva TX4.

Gore-tex version if you wish.

Uppers still intact after a year. Treated with nikwax nubuck proof, they're pretty water resistant. Soles now worn down to the core. Luckily, I picked a a replacement pair in Go Outdoors sale earlier in the year.

Arms Cliff 11 Aug 2018
In reply to kaiser:

Interesting, this looks like a better designed camp 4! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...