Lairig Leacach Bothy to Bottom of Loch Treig

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steelbru 09 Aug 2018

On the OS maps, just to the east of the Mamores Stob Ban, from the Lairig Leacach bothy, there are 2 paths marked, one either side of the river ( Allt na Lairige ) heading SSE to the bottom of Loch Treig.

The path to the west of the river looks like it sticks fairly close to the river, whereas the one to the east looks to be up the hill a bit more.

Does anyone know which is the better of the 2 paths, or are they much of a muchness ? My instinct would say the one up the hillside is less likely to be a mudfest as water should drain downhill, but in practice that may not be the case.

Post edited at 13:17
 EddieC 10 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

I think the path on the west side is the main one but I don't know whether that  means it's less muddy. Ronald Turnbull's Cicerone guide to Ben Nevis and Glen Coe has some information about the route that might be helpful. When I was there last year I went off piste and followed the east bank closely to see all the waterfalls. It was fairly boggy.

Harry Jarvis 10 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

Quoting from 'Scottish Hill Tracks' (which follows the route in the reverse direction):

[from NN308693] 'In dry conditions, the path on the west side of this burn can be followed through the Lairig Leacach, but in wet conditions it is better to cross the bridge and follow a path on the east side of the burn, where there are fewer difficult burns to cross. This east-side path also needs care in wet conditions especially where it runs close above the river, soon after the bridge. '

I fear you may be in for wet feet whichever path you choose!

OP steelbru 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Harry Jarvis & EddieC :

Thanks both, the plan is to run it, so don't mind wet feet. 
Can't believe I never thought to look at the Hill Tracks book - I've got that on my bookshelf, doh !!

Welsh Kate 10 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

I walked the west side the whole length of the lairig a few years ago one Easter, in pretty damp weather. There were no serious problems as far as I recall, maybe one or two sploshy streams to walk through, but that's all. Nice route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...