Expedition destinations from mid to late November

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 25 Jul 2018

I'm currently on schedule to have a break from work towards the end of the year, and would like to get out to the greater ranges.

One possibility is a prepackaged trip with the likes of JG who run an expedition to Ama Dablam at that time. It appeals as although it could be a bit touristy it might be a relatively low stress option for someone who hasn't done any expeditions before.

Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas, or if they know of anyone who might be looking to organise something for that time (probably not an 8000m Winter ascent, though).

Pero 25 Jul 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

I don't think you'll find many tourists on Ama Dablam!  And I'm not sure it's a low stress mountain, although with JG it would be logistically simple.

I went to Patagonia in November a few years ago. Not great for rock climbing as it is snowy and pretty cold, but good conditions for the easier alpine things.

Its pretty expensive to get there, but very cheap once you are there. 

The other place that cool is Mount Kenya, we went just after Xmas. November would be probably good though. 

dgbryan 26 Jul 2018

Sichuan, Siguniang area?  Easy access from Chengdu, out of the main Chinese holiday seasons when it gets chockablock, quite a bit already done (consult AAJ), quite a bit to do.  Weather uncertain - could still be stable in November.  Some years since I've been & permitting has reportedly gotten tighter (see www.iceclimbingjapan.com for an article on this).  Might have a contact who can facilitate for a fee if required - don't know if he still does this type of thing.

Damo 26 Jul 2018

Mid to late November is good for:

- lower peaks of the High Andes, especially Mercedario and the Ansilta range, maybe Tupungato and neighbours.

- the Trekking Peaks of the Khumbu (Imja Tse, Mera, Lobuche)  and Manang (Pisang, Chulus but also into Nar Phu valley), as there are plenty of lodges for the chilly nights

- SW ridge of Ama Dablam, yes, make sure your jumar is in good condition

- SW China (Sichuan & Yunnan), but as above, permit ha$$les nowadays and not necessarily many straightforward peaks

- ice routes in Patagonia, probably a bit steeper than you had in mind?

- Sentinel Range, Antarctica ,Vinson etc, US$40K probably a bit more outrageously expensive than you had in mind?

- New Zealand, not technically the Greater Ranges, but greater than yours

In reply to Damo:

Lots of good info there, cheers. Antarctica is, probably, not in the running for this trip. That money's for a deposit on a house...

Package deal to Ama Dablam is still the most likely option, but I like the idea of Patagonia or the Andes.

Cheers,
Andrew.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...