Are Nepal Cubes warmer than 2013 Mantas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wullie 23 Jul 2018

Looking to make the step up to B3 boots, from my existing 2013 B2 Scarpa Mantas to either Nepal Cubes or Mont Blanc Pros.  I'm wondering if there will be a noticeable difference in warmth between them and the Mantas.  I normally use a smartwool heavyweight mountaineering sock, and only get cold feet at prolonged belays or long periods of inactivity.

Also which is warmer between Nepal Cubes and Mont Blanc pros?

Cheers. Wullie

Tricadam 24 Jul 2018
In reply to Wullie:

Having used both, I reckon Nepal Cubes warmer than Mantas of roughly that vintage. (I think I bought mine maybe 2012.) The fit is rather different: in my case the Nepals are much better than the Mantas, but I'm sure other feet would find the opposite. 

OP Wullie 24 Jul 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Thanks for that Tricadam.

I tried some Nepals on in the shop briefly last week, they felt good.  I have always felt the mantas gave me a numb left foot at the ball.

Has anyone done a comparison between the Scarpa Mont Blanc pros and Nepal Cubes for warmth, walkability etc, as they appear to be direct competitors.

Thanks 

Wullie

hpil 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Wullie:

i found out the painful and expensive way that the width fit is quite different - i had a pair of Mantas from that era (the bluey leather ones) which seemed ok when trying on in the shop, but were agony after 8hrs walking. When my plastic B3s died i tried some nepal extremes and some nepal evos - both seemed ok in the shop, and so borrowed some extremes and then hired some evos for shortish days out, and then bought a pair of evos. Again, after 8-10 hrs out, the evos were really painful. Long story short, went to Mountainfeet nr oldham, found that the 2012 mantas are built on a fairly narrow (DL i think) last, as are the La Sportivas, and my feet are much more suited to wider lasts. Got a pair of the older Mont Blancs (no the pros) which are on a wider last and lo and behold - no pain! Sold the evos, sold the mantas and got some Charmoz (built on a widish FT last) to replace the mantas.

Quite a few old posts on here about B3 boot fit, but if you are finding the Mantas are giving you numb feet the fit might be the bigger issue - if they dont fit now, they will always not fit whether it is warm or cold...

Robbie Blease 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Wullie:

Not sure about the warmth of Nepal cubes, although I suppose it'll be warmer than mantas, mont blanc pros though are some of the coldest B3s I've ever used. I know other people who have had similar experiences with them. So I think cubes will definitely be warmer than MBP.

Tricadam 27 Jul 2018
In reply to hpil:

My experience was that, indeed, the Mantas of that era were a bit too narrow for me. Nepal Extremes and Nepal Cubes, on the other hand, just right.

OP Wullie 28 Jul 2018
In reply to All:

Thanks for the replies lads.  Good insights here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...